Native types

Paddy Irish

Visit site
Does anyone know where would be a good place to start looking for a native type , any good websites / breeders / dealers etc , thinking fells / dales / newforest for 5'5" , 9 stone experienced rider - well me actually:D

be positive

Visit site
The breed society sites are a good place to start, they will have for sale lists plus breeders/ studs adverts.

NFED is good for New Forests if you are in the south, otherwise generally scanning the websites regularly so you dont miss any, not so many Fells or Dales around so you do need to be on the case if you want one.

NativePonyLover

Visit site
I found my New Forest through the breed society website, in their classified section. I would try a breed society first - they can put you in touch with good breeders or dealers of their breed or type.

Happy pony hunting - I wouldn't want to own anything but a New Forest now!

abitodd

www.musicfordressage.net
You could try my front garden!
Currently have a herd of Exmoors and other ponies in our garden because people keep leaving the gate to the moor open!
So we now have some weight carrying,sure footed Exmoors,some connie types and some dartmoor types eating the daffs..........Oh and there's sheep as well. Stop by at the weekend and you might get some cattle thrown in for good measure.

dafthoss

Visit site
I found mine on horsemart :) Although you do have to search through the ad's. I currently have my eye on a sports horse on there at the moment :cool: just wishing I was finishing uni so I could justify buying another.

Suziq77

Visit site
good point... I'd actually start by clicking this link:

http://www.morrichhighlandponies.co.uk/Forsale.htm

(sorry, OP, useless hijack)

waaaaaahhhhhhhh noooooooooo - i would really like fearna :(

Seriously though OP what part of the country are you in and would you be interested in overheight connies? There is a dealer not to far away from me, in Sussex, that gets a lot of good feedback and always has a nice looking selection in.

I spend my lunch hours looking at horsequest for no reason :eek:

Paddy Irish

Visit site
waaaaaahhhhhhhh noooooooooo - i would really like fearna :(

Seriously though OP what part of the country are you in and would you be interested in overheight connies? There is a dealer not to far away from me, in Sussex, that gets a lot of good feedback and always has a nice looking selection in.

I spend my lunch hours looking at horsequest for no reason :eek:

I'm down in sunny cornwall , but have wheels and can travel . I'm thinking that after my on-going Paddy issues , i would like to back track to a native type ... i'm not into jumping ( although i won't rule it out ) i have 7 acres of hilly and flat mixed type ground and i think that if i go back towards native types , maybe a little showing...?

Suziq77

Visit site
OK well here's the link to the place nearish me, I've seen ponies from there out and about locally at RC things and they've all been nice types http://prestwoodfarm.com/

If you want to do affiliated showing then the over 14.2hh connies wouldn't be eligible though (even though registered) which is a shame but there are some other good posts with ideas too.

Walrus

Visit site
Breed society sales pages (there is also a link to studs on the Fell Pony Society website - it's always worth looking on stud websites too). The stud where my pony's dad is is down in devon / cornwall (think it's Tredellans).

Although i found my boy on horsemart.

:)

be positive

Visit site
There are a few nice New Forests at the moment on NFED, not really close to you but in Dorset so not too bad.
The 14.1 bay mare 1/2 way down the first page under 14.2s is super and at £1499 I think could be a bargain if you are happy to bring on a baby.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
OK well here's the link to the place nearish me, I've seen ponies from there out and about locally at RC things and they've all been nice types http://prestwoodfarm.com/

If you want to do affiliated showing then the over 14.2hh connies wouldn't be eligible though (even though registered) which is a shame but there are some other good posts with ideas too.

Suziq - just out of interest what sort of showing can you do with an over height connie/connie x - riding horse? Just that I'm looking at the moment, mainly for dressage for me and PC for son, but do enjoy the odd bit of showing.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Go onto Hamlets House forum, http://forum.hamletshouse.co.uk/index.php put a wanted post up & see what rolls in - usually plenty there looking for a good home, sometimes those retiring from showing etc & wanting a hacking/other type home (not showing!).

You will need to register tho (and prob post 5 times before being albe to start a thread in that section)

Good luck :)

Suziq77

Visit site
Suziq - just out of interest what sort of showing can you do with an over height connie/connie x - riding horse? Just that I'm looking at the moment, mainly for dressage for me and PC for son, but do enjoy the odd bit of showing.

Yes, riding horse or perhaps small hunter depending on how much bone / how far overheight or what the cross is with (small hunters should be mini-middleweights and only up to 158cm). Plus working hunter pony classes if your son is under 20 or under 25 for intermediate classes. I think maybe some shows have overheight connie classes or maybe I just read that there could be demand for them.... At local level pretty much anything goes and an overheight connie would be perfect for riding horse, working hunter, RC horse etc.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Yes, riding horse or perhaps small hunter depending on how much bone / how far overheight or what the cross is with (small hunters should be mini-middleweights and only up to 158cm). Plus working hunter pony classes if your son is under 20 or under 25 for intermediate classes. I think maybe some shows have overheight connie classes or maybe I just read that there could be demand for them.... At local level pretty much anything goes and an overheight connie would be perfect for riding horse, working hunter, RC horse etc.

Thank you so much - that's really helpful. Nice to know we wouldn't be saying goodbye to showing completely. I used to do riding horse classes with my old girl and a couple of small hunter classes as well which I enjoyed. :)