Naughtiness or lack of training? Help!

tiffjolijester

New User
Visit site
Last year I bought a gorgeous chestnut gelding (chestnut thoroughbred why on earth would I be so crazy!) he was very skinny and terrified of everything.
I have experience with thoroughbreds but he is really testing me at the moment, he came home and was a dream to ride in the arena then suddenly started rearing when I got on him and spinning until I came off I had everything checked and all was ok then came misbehaving for the farrier rearing and forcing his legs down when having shoes put on so had him checked again and nothing!
Started working him again after a few weeks off to get the all clear and my dream horse was back going beautifully in the arena and started doing small jumps which he really enjoyed.
Now he has began throwing his head in the air when cantering so I have no control and he's very sharp, I have no idea what to do, some days he goes on the bit and others it's a battle. He isn't keen on a martingale as if you get on and the martingale touches him between his front legs he kicks off. He is a very sensitive horse and I've put a lot of time and effort in to building trust with him as he came to me in a bad way.
I currently ride him in a snaffle but don't know whether to get a hollow mouth or something with a copper roller.
Can anyone please help?

tiffjolijester

New User
Visit site
It sounds like a pain issue if it's only when ridden and only sometimes. What checks did you have done?
He's had back, teeth, saddle all checked. Also had a scan done at the vets and has had a physio out to see him and nothing. I also thought it was pain especially with what he was doing with the farrier.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I've always fed Alpha A Oil, but I know some find it a problem - heating the horse up etc.

Ulcers may be a good place to start with your investigations.

mandyroberts

Visit site
Pain related but I'm not sure what with the checks you have had but a reoccurrence of ulcers as others suggest is a reasonable suggestion.
Does he behave the same with someone else riding him? Or is it too intermittent to tell?
If he is good out hacking (and the odd spook means nothing in my opinion) is it when you ask him to come together in the school?
Have you asked him to go in the same way out of the school?

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
Hi, saddle checked and all ok, he goes out for about 11 hours a day and lives out in summer. Currently feeding pink mash, Alfa a oil and Pegasus mix.

Try a different feeding regime! This is what my boy does sometimes! I have a fantastic feeding programme now but his bad behaviour turned out to be ulcers and allergies to alpha alpha soy and molasses! Now he only acts like a turd occasionally lol 😆 happy days. Fee free to pm me , believe me i have been through everything with my tb 😍 but wouldn’t swap him for the world

Carrottom

Visit site
When his teeth were checked did the EDT check for wolf teeth (maybe blind). Sometimes they don't comment on them in an older horse as they assume they are not causing a problem. I had blind wolf teeth removed for a 12 yo ex-racer, they tend to fit bits very high in the mouth, problems can occur when the bit is fitted lower and the horse works in the contact. I definitely would not use a roller bit.

dixie

Visit site
He does sound like pain issue somewhere. When I got to the martingale part my first thought was ulcers as my gelding had ulcers and hated his martingale being attached to his girth. There are other signs and there’s a good video on utube which I’ll dig out.