Naughtiness or something else?

StarFell

Visit site
My pony has suddenly (as in over the last 3-4 weeks) started being really hard work in the school. He's constantly rushing and trying to canter, especially as we get into corners, and won't trot properly. I'm going to ring my saddler tomorrow and try to get her out to check that isn't the problem, and his back was checked about 3 weeks ago. Is there something else that could be wrong, or could it just be that he is being naughty? He doesn't just do it with me, its with everyone that gets on him. Help please!

_Hayley_

Visit site
he is proberly getting board of what he is doing and wants a change ( not saying for def ) but he is probbly having one over on you and just wants to do what he wants
smile.gif
xxx

StarFell

Visit site
He's definately not bored because I only school 2-3 times a week, jump once a week and hack out a couple of days. Thanks though
smile.gif

diggerbez

Visit site
i'd get him checked out for back pain first (and maybe teeth?) and then once thats eliminated then think about varying his routine maybe- does he rush about like this on hacks? perhaps he's anticipating being asked to canter in a corner and rushing because of that?
smile.gif

StarFell

Visit site
His back was done about 3 weeks ago, maybe worth getting his teeth checked although he isn't due and he is eating fine... I can usually tell straight away when he needs his teeth done! His routine is really varied, and he is forward going on hacks. Could be him just anticipating, he's very enthusiastic!

diggerbez

Visit site
i would maybe think that then TBH (but get his back and teeth checked just in case). i'd maybe think about either lungeing him before getting on or doing heaps and heaps of transitions and circles and loops and serpentines to keep his brain busy and to stop him thinking about bazzing off every two minutes...he's probably just realised that spring iin the air!
grin.gif

StarFell

Visit site
Thanks for your advice, I think you're probably right. It seems like if I stay on the track in the school he just gets faster and stronger, but if I stay on a circle he's not too bad. I've got a lesson on Wednesday so I'll ask my instructor to get on and see what she thinks
smile.gif

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
2-3 times is quite a bit TBH if you're not competing, or IMHO anyway. What sort of things do you do when you school? Sounds to me like he's bored - not in terms of the types of work he is doing but in terms of what you do with him in the school.

You need to keep them occupied. Don't just go large, don't just stay on a circle. Do lots of things - turns, lateral work, changes of rein (and do that in strange places, not just the normal up the centre line or on the diagonal), transistions between and within paces, pole work (not just jumping). Do quick changes of pace - on a 20m circle, try things like 5 strides of walk, 5 strides of trot, back to walk for 5, canter for 5....and so on. Things to make him think. If you only ever ask for canter in a corner, start asking over X, do a turn on the haunches and ask for canter when you come back on to the track... you get the picture.

What do you mean by "wont trot properly"? Mine has a silly trot that instructor calls "sewing machine legs" when he doesn't want to work - all legs in the air at a million miles an hour. Just requires lots of leg to send forwards and lots of interesting things to do so he forgets about trying not to work and concentrates on actually working.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
[ QUOTE ]
"sewing machine legs" PMSL!!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif

You may laugh but I bet you can imagine it can't you?!
tongue.gif
He will spend 5 mins trotting round with sewing machine legs, bent to the outside no matter what you do, looking at everyone else and usually neighing... then he realises no one is going to save him from the dreaded boredom that is schooling and just gets on with it
smirk.gif

StarFell

Visit site
Chestnut cob: When I say "won't trot properly" I mean exactly what you just described! Lol. I only do 20-30 mins in the school at a time then usually go for a hack afterwards. When I do school I try to do plenty of circles, serpantines and changes of rein, I maybe do need to do more transitions. Thanks a lot for your advice, thats really helpful
smile.gif

teddyt

Visit site
I agree with chesnut cob re keeping work in school varied, not just going round the outside. However if he has suddenly started doing it and it is unusual behaviour for him and his character i would gradually work through reasons that might be causing him pain. Can you have a lesson with someone for another point of view? As its with several riders it is probably not you but another pair of eyes may help. Also try lungeing and see if he does it on the lunge, with and without a saddle.

StarFell

Visit site
He's usually quite lazy on the lunge! He is forward going and enthusiastic all of the time, it just seems like he's got a LOT stronger and a bit silly over the past few weeks. As I say, I'm having a lesson with my usual instructor (I only have lessons with her every 3-4 weeks) and I think I'll book a lesson with the instructor who comes to the yard next Saturday, just to see what he thinks. Thanks for the advice
smile.gif

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Ok, for that I do lots of transistions. If he starts being silly like that, there's no point in continuing to trot around like that on endless circles. Back to walk, or even to halt, maybe rein back, trot on again. Keep him busy. My horse loves canter work so if he starts sewing machine impressions, I might do something like ask for canter, canter off his back around the arena then back to walk. Do some leg yield, canter again after leg yield. He also spirals up and down on a circle in canter, that keeps him interested. Then try some more trot work and again, lots of transistions so that he doesn't get time to be silly in trot.

I'd be tempted to hack before you school TBH. Mine needs a good 15-20 mins to warm up so I often hack first, or go for a whizz around our canter field. Then when I get in the school he's usually got his silliness out of the way and is warmed up. Mine just needs lots of leg when he does it because otherwise he doesn't travel fowards properly - more leg makes him take a longer stride and then he can't keep behaving like a sewing machine
smile.gif

diggerbez

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"sewing machine legs" PMSL!!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif

You may laugh but I bet you can imagine it can't you?!
tongue.gif
He will spend 5 mins trotting round with sewing machine legs, bent to the outside no matter what you do, looking at everyone else and usually neighing... then he realises no one is going to save him from the dreaded boredom that is schooling and just gets on with it
smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yes! its one of the best descriptions i've ever heard!
grin.gif
grin.gif