Naughty horsey!

wonkey_donkey

Visit site
Hi, I'm new to the forum and could do with some help. My new horse has been kicking the hell out of his stable and the lorry whilst in transit. He seems to do it out of frustration ie when his dinner is 30 seconds late or the last mile home on a lorry journey when he recognises where he is. Any suggestions?

EllieBeast

Visit site
Oh dear, my pony used to do this to her stable (not the trailer or lorry though). i never found a reason and tried differant stables etc to no effect. i ended up turning her out full time, and i now have a differant horse - So much happier in every way. She was definately trying to tell me something! However there could be more of a reason with yours. Could he be slightly claustrophobic?

the watcher

Visit site
He is bright enough to connect making a noise with making something happen, he doesn't know that the journey ends and he is offloaded because you have reached the destination, he has somehow connected this with his kicking. I know if I was driving him I would do a few short 10 minute trips and offload him before he thinks of kicking, and if he kicks when nearly home I would just keep driving til he stops - but that is just me!
Same with the food..I would never 'reward' the kicking with food. If he kicks Iwould get him out and walk him around for 10 minutes, then put him in and only feed if he is settled..you need to break the cause and effect.

wonkey_donkey

Visit site
Thanks for that everyone - I've got a mega huge brick stable spare so I could try putting him in there to see if it helps - hope he doesnt kick the bricks out though as my hubby will go spare !!! He's an old Grade A showjumper and has travelled everywhere over the years so I reckon he's trying his luck with kicking the lorry. Will try your tips.

zabman444

New User
Visit site
good luck
smile.gif