Naughty nappy pony - thoughts?

bex1984

Visit site
I've had my pony for 7 years and he's just comeback from 2 years on loan to a riding school, moved to a new yard, settled in fine.

For the first 3 weeks he was an absolute angel. Did everything I asked, worked nicely in the school and even managed a walk down the lane on his own a few times.

But this last few weeks he has been really nappy. He's always had a nappy streak - I've never really been able to hack him alone, and he is inherently lazy. But he's now downing tools in the school (just slamming on the brakes, refusing to move forward, threatening to buck if I smack him).

I've not been asking much of him in the school, and he's been on a few long hacks and been fine, other than the fact that he won't go away from the other horse /person he's with.

I'm thinking he's bored of the school but as he won't hack alone and I don't often have people to hack with I do need to take him in the school - he needs plenty of work at the moment to keep his weight down.

What would you do? Thoughts?

crazymaisey

Visit site
If he's been at a riding school he's maybe a bit sour. He needs to have fun!

Can you find people to hack with or teach him to enjoy hacking alone with very short hacks and rewards on the way round?

Walk with him for a bit if it helps?

Assuming his saddle and teeth are fine :)

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I'd do some work with him on long reins where you can send him forward and not worry about being bucked off.

bex1984

Visit site
Saddle fitted properly, teeth checked recently.

I've been trying to hack him out alone but at the moment we can't even get out of the yard gate. In the past few weeks I've boxedhim up aand been on fun hacks with friends etc and taken him out with others at the yard a few times, and done some jumping - I'm doing my best to make sure he has fun... He's his own worst enemy really because he is bored in the school but won't just go on a nice walk down the lane!

I'm not sure about long lines. He hates lunging with a passion and I basically have to wear full body armour and carry 3 whips to attempt it. I think I'd need to get someone experienced to do it!

(he is really a lovely pony despite all this - my 2 yr old little girl rides him!)

soulfull

Visit site
as you have ruled out anything physical it sounds like being in the riding school he has leant that he doesn't have to go off the leg. somehow teaching him to go forward is the only answer to ALL your problems. If this means getting someone who can 'get after him' then that is exactly what he needs. He may well throw a few bucking fits to start with but should get the idea

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Alternatively... if he's been at a RS for 2 years, he might have worked quite hard so what about giving him a holiday? Chuck him out in the field for a month to let him have some down time, then see if he perks up a bit afterwards. Then, get a physio out to give him the once over, and if still a sod, do as soulfull suggests!

bex1984

Visit site
I did wonder about a holiday but he'll just get enormous this time of year. However, he did have a pretty easy life at the rs and is probably having to work harder now he'sbback with me!

Interestingly yo was watching me ride the other day and said the same as soulfull. I just hate getting into battles with him. Might have to put spurs back on?

bex1984

Visit site
Thinking about it soulfull you are right. If he'd tried this in the rs someone would have chased him round with a lunge whip and maybe he's noticed that there's no one there to do that so he's trying it on.

He naps by the mirrors so that he can stay standing next to himself!!