Naughty on the lunge

KTPsurrey

Visit site
Hi, My 5 yo TB is being a complete diva on the lunge. She has been in for 6 months as no winter turnout and not out for another 4 weeks! some days she is calm with good listening and other days bucking, rearing and broncing. I push her on till she is calm but it is unejoyable and exhausting for both of us.
i know she is fed up and has so much pent up energy. would Like to take a break from lunging as it’s stressing me out but she is sometimes too fresh to ride. Broken in last summer and hacks out But gets v excited on bridle paths. Any ideas? Been a long winter

Pinkvboots

Visit site
You need better turnout or can't you lunge then ride afterwards?

Or lunge then lots of long reining around fields or tracks if you have them?

Tbh I would seriously consider moving it's not fair on a 5yo horse to have no turnout all winter, I have 2 mid teen Arabs that would struggle with it and be wild on the lunge as well:(

TheMule

Visit site
7 months without turnout? ?
I wouldn’t keep a hamster cooped up that long, let alone a horse. I'm sure you're working on finding alternative yards for her so she is never subjected to that again, but in the meantime I would just spend as much time out of her box handgrazing her and letting her know that being outside of her box is not a novelty and doesnt need a big explosion

KTPsurrey

Visit site
Yes I totally agree with you all. It has been very frustrating and I feel so sorry for her. i do plan to move her next winter for sure. our school is not fenced in so can’t loose school either.
Spent so much money on boredom toys.
I will do a bit more long reining actually that’s a good idea. Thank you ?

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
How about some inhand work? My boy wont go out in winter. So to add variety alongside riding in school and lunging I had a few in hand lessons. It keeps his brain engaged and keeps him supple with out any strain on his joints.

scats

Visit site
I suppose for now, if moving yards right this weekend isn’t possible (which for most, it isn’t), I would focus on a plan to get you through the next 4 weeks no turnout. How many times a day can you get the horse out the stable, realistically? Can you do a walk and hand graze or lunge in the morning and then a good ride in the afternoon/evening?

But I would be actively looking for new yards now, and moving as soon as you can.

Teaboy

Visit site
I would definitely be moving yards, half a year with no turnout is not acceptable. Also is lunging the only exercise she is getting? Lunging puts a heck of a lot of stress on joints and I would be trying to avoid excessive lunging. Long lining would be better.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I would definitely be moving yards, half a year with no turnout is not acceptable. Also is lunging the only exercise she is getting? Lunging puts a heck of a lot of stress on joints and I would be trying to avoid excessive lunging. Long lining would be better.

You are right but the lunging will get the energy out of her, I wouldn't want to long line a horse turning itself inside out so I do understand the logic of that.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
If you can't move yards she needs more exercise and if necessary you need to pay someone to do that.

How many times a week, and for how long, is she being exercised?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
It's nearly April when are they planning on opening the fields?, yards should at least have a trash paddock area for winter so horses can have a bit of out time.

I don't blame you for not wanting to ride her doesn't sound much fun, but I would talk to her owner and say the issues you are having it's not fair on either of you.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I'm afraid I would quit the loan. Horses can manage perfectly well without turnout, but not a 5 year old and not unless they are getting 2 hours of hacking most days, with some other days of more concentrated work to get them breathing. You can tire them out in a shorter time, but to the detriment of their legs as the work would have to be concentrated, especially for a 5 year old.

If you do carry on until April when they are turned out, then I would certainly quit the loan before next winter, unless she is moved.

Trouper

Visit site
What concerns me is that her bones are still growing and all the muscles and ligaments in her body need appropriate exercise to match that development. Trying as hard as you are, lunging is not the right exercise. She needs turnout to move freely and some steady hacking. I don't know where you are but the ground in many places is drying out enough now to give horses at least a couple of hours turnout and it really is a welfare issue not to do so.
You don't explain the circumstances of your loan so I don't know if her owner would leave her in the same situation if you gave it up - but it might concentrate their minds if you told them that you could not carry on in the current circumstances.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Long lining is likely to end up with a loose horse .
OP your horse is not being a diva she is a young animal being kept in totally unsuitable circumstances
I cannot understand why an owner would allow this completely unacceptable management programme they should hang their head in shame for allowing it .

Gingerwitch

Visit site
The longest I have coped with closed fields was 5 months which I was assured was a one off fluke. When we had done the same in the October and November the following year I sd one, unfortunately had to have one pts and the remaining 3 were moved in the January. It nigh on killed me exercising these horses and if I had not moved I honestly would have given horses up for good.
I know you are getting stick on this thread but you must know in your heart that this is totally an inappropriate way to confine a horse. Are you the sole carer for this horse and if so what justification does the owner give fir not allowing you to move yards ?
I too would be giving this poor mare up and I too would raise it as a welfare issue.
If you were ill are you saying that poor mare would be confined in a 12 x12 prison until you were fit again.