Naughty on the lunge

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Thank you. I do take her for in hand walks, ride her on long backs, lunge her twice a week and hand graze her. It’s been really hard work but I can’t give her up. We have a lovely bond and I know she isn’t really being naughty just pent up energy.
You sound really attached to her can you not buy her ? X

stormox

Visit site
The mare is ridden 4 times a week and lunged/excercised the other days.
Its a shame she has no turnout but its only for another month.
Plenty of horses are kept in over winter, its ridiculous to say you can report a yard if horses dont get turnout. You would be reporting half the yards in UK!!
And it isnt as easy to 'move her' as people seem to think.
OP I think you genuinely love and care for the horse to the best of your ability. Let her have her buck and kick on the lunge or loose in the school before you ride or lunge. Mine have turnout but they still enjoy a buck!
Summer wont be long coming....

rascal

Visit site
Would the owner sell her to you? If the owner will not move the horse, i would walk away, this set up is going to cause an accident, either yourself or the poor over fresh horse.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
They won't be interested. Horses without turnout in livery yards in winter is normal, legal, and has been for the 50+ years I've been around stables.
In all fairness most horses were in proper work not a tickle round an arena for 20 mins a day. You only have to look at the number of overweight horses, rugged to the hilt on livery yards. It is such a shame.

Patch55

Visit site
Some people have very strange ideas of what is acceptable.
I recently moved onto an amazing yard, 5* facilities with all year turnout apart from if it was "horrendous weather". They have a horse walker and indoor school for turnout on those days and I ride 5/6 days a week. Anyway... I was gravely mistaken. It was certainly not AYTO. He was in solidly for a week when we arrived.
The same yard managers dont turn up to do their horses until 10.30am on a weekend and horses have been in their stables from about 5pm. I put haynets in at 7.30am, I am on 5 day livery and first one to arrive does hay for the yard. I dont mind doing haynets at all, but figured it would be a shared responsibility... and then have to wait for another livery to turn up between 9am-9.30am so I can turn mine out. I am occasionally away at weekends during non-covid times, I would not be able to leave him in the care of the yard ?
And they were surprised when I handed my notice in after a week and said an early date I was leaving...

Lucky Snowball

Visit site
This is an awful situation for this horse and probably others on the yard. Owners are also at risk from overly fresh horses.
Would it be worth a few of you getting together to discuss the possibility of a 'trash paddock' which could be used throughout the winter for horses to be let out from their cages daily - ideally in groups.

rascal

Visit site
Our horses live out, but years ago when they were in at night in the winter, we were paying extra to YM to give them a feed, change their rugs, and turn them out, we were forever finding them still in the stables, when we arrived after work, breakfast still where we left it, usually with some feeble excuse as to why they were still there. In the end we paid one of the other liveries to turn them out and feed them. We went out for a hack one day and moved them.
They both hated being in so much, and the excuse was always the ground was wet.