Naughty Pony

lillie07

Visit site
***WARNING- LONG RAMBLE!! OPINIONS WANTED!!****

To cut a long story short, this post relates to my first pony, who I outgrew, and put on loan until she was diagnosed with DJD in her hock (only the onset- she isnt lame!). I then put her out on loan as a companion horse as she is a not a novice ride and I thought it would be nice just to retire her out to grass.

Well that hasnt gone to plan as she has decided to be a complete sh*t. The lady nearly gave her back about a month ago as she had jumped out her stable and she was worried that if she did it again she could come to some harm- but then decided as it was so out of character she would like to keep her. This morning she jumped out of the yard and on to a busy road
frown.gif
she could have killed herself or somebody else so she is now coming home to me.

She has always been naughty but nothing to this extreme!!

Now my feeling is that she should be brought back into work, as all this bad behaviour could be boredom, but because she is so naughty and hasnt been ridden for about a year I dont want to put anybody else on her but I am worried that I might squash her. It would only be until she is fit- then I will rethink and either put her back out on loan to be ridden or put her in the riding school or loan her to a college.

What is the maximum weight you would put on a 14.3hh Cob X (Middleweight) 9 year old mare?

Thanks if you got this far
grin.gif

RunToEarth

Visit site
14.3hh middleweight cob which is only 9? Would think that she could carry some weight. Scout around your area and find some gutsy teen that loves a challenge and can ride well, and offer to pay her abit to ride her. I always love getting on naughty ponies and im sure there are quite afew more that wil. I think you are definately right about bringing her back into work.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
I would say about 12 stone, maybe a bit more if it was a good rider.
At 14.3 unless you're a huge beanpole I can't see any probs with an adult riding her. I'd go with what Rosie said and get a gutsy teen to ride her (ask your local DC if she knows anyone who'd be up for the challenge), and then put her out on loan for hacking etc. Other than that can you not break her to drive? It might open up a whole new life for her.

jemima

Visit site
My 18yo 13.3 Welsh Cob is quite happy to carry 14 stone - he'll showjump 1.05m and XC 2'9" (and come second!!) carrying that weight too. I'd have thought your mare would be fine with a similar or even greater weight. If you're worried then build up the time you spend in the saddle to give her a chance to get used to it!

lillie07

Visit site
Thanks everyone!! Im about 10.5st (and on a diet lol!!) but I will only do the basics with her anyway. I will eventually put her out on loan to a gutsy teen- but at the moment its a bit difficult because I have no idea how she will even react to being ridden after so long and I dont want the responsibility of anybody getting hurt- paying somebody isnt really an option at the moment. It sounds really selfish but I would rather put any money spare into entry fees and lessons for my 2 "proper!" horses.