Navicular Bursar damage? Hope?

sassyequine

Visit site
I am interested to hear any experience of navicular bursar injury and outcomes?

The short history is that I lost my last 5 year old after two lots of surgery in Oct Last year, bought my new 4 year old warmblood in November and she has since had colic, a serious kick to the head, strangles, a foot abcess and then went lame in both front legs since December. Needless too say I am at my wits end. (she was x rayed all over, scoped and vetted as a potential BYEH when we bought her so everything possible was looked at)

So she had an MRI last week at Newmarket and the diagnosis is not good. She has lesions on both front navicular bursars and more damage to the left deep digatal flexor tendon where it joins the bursar. She is 3/5ths lame on a hard circle, it blocks out at coffin and navicular bursar about 50% and swaps legs with only one block. Clearly very worried as she is four and only had about 2 months of hacking in her short life so the damage is unusual, the theories surround her extrodinary growth in the last 8 months.

The treatment she had there is anti inflammatories injected into both navicular bursar spaces and we gradually bring her into walk and trot work over next 4 weeks then reassess her response to treatment. She also has special shoes, pads and packing on. If she responds we keep going and see at what point she goes lame again, if she doesnt the options are very high risk, relatively new surgery or turning her away for a few months. AFter what we have been through I will probably opt for turn out initially.

The final twist is that x rays last week have also found two areas of kissing spines, mild at the moment but enough to need treament when her feet are fixed.

So if you have experience of navicular bursar damage, treatment, prognosis, good or bad, I would love to hear from you. Right now things feel pretty tough, the only saving grace is she is pretty happy, in great condition and out of pain currently.

Thanks very much.

nelliefinellie

Visit site
So sorry to hear about your horse. I too had a run of bad luck with several horses in a row and I know how you must be feeling
frown.gif

The most usual treatment for navicular bursa problems is to inject them with steroids: it sounds as if this has been done. You may want to explore the option of IRAP as well. I had a horse with similar problems but fairly mild, and shockwave helped a lot so it may be worth asking about that as well.

I wouldn't worry too much abut the mild kissing spine at the moment - this is probably secondary to the foot problem. If mild they should respond to steroids / rehab once the feet are fixed.

As she is so young I would definitely consider turning her away for a while, whilst continuing to address the foot balance.

Good luck.

sassyequine

Visit site
Thank you for this. Yes she has had both steroids and a new synthetic anti imflammatory injected. Because of the nature of the damage, the vets say the response over 4 weeks is critical to telling us how much repair is possible.

My last horse had great results with shock wave too. This injury is not accesible by it however I am going to look into IRAP as well.

Many thanks