Navicular in right hind

cappelli

Visit site
Yes mine mare did. Its very rare behind and really not seen for years apparently, my mare had in her left hind and they MRI'd her frount left as she had suspected issues with both.

I actually had the mare PTS as she has done a massive colateral ligament damage, ddft, and cartledge but going down a hole in a show ring. She has also just got over septicima and was still not right from that.

I cant really tell you much about it but they did offer me some treatments and redemedial shoeing but because of mulitiple other problems all needing different treatments i was told she would never be sound again and being a lively TB who lived to work it wasnt going to happen.

If its solely navicular then i would think remedial shoeing would help alot.

How has this been diagnosed?

cappelli

Visit site
It is very rare, my vets had never seen it but are not a huge practise so my girl went to a larger vets and they had only seen one other case in approx 25 years.

I believe from what i remember ( this was 2 years ago ) the prognosis was better in the hind feet to some degree as the frount feet tent to take more weight/ impact than the hind feet do. If you think about it that would make sence as there is more weight over the forhand than the hind quaters and unless you have a totial who takes loads of weight behind there will be less weight on them.

The navicular need work to keep good circulation in the foot but the collateral ligament damage needed rest.

What have the vet and farrier said? also much much damage to the bone is there? I have my girls MRI images and a report somewhere i could always try and dig that out if it helps?

Madam_max

Visit site
Thanks you have been so helpful. He has a cyst on his right Navicualr bone and some adhesions on his DDFT. Problem is to me he looks sound. They want 3 weeks box rest then Tildren and a Cortisone injection into the Bursar. 5 weeks in a small field with 5-10 mins walking. Then gradually bring him back into work with a reassesment with Tildren again maybe.

rupertsmum

Visit site
I wonder if it's not seen, as it's not looked for? My boy was diagnosed last year with navicular in the front but after nerve block etc, the vets said that he was lame all round. He only had X rays in the front though. When my AEP started working on his feet, he said that conformation/hoof function were worse in the hinds, so it's quite possible that he has it all round! However, he is now sound and perfectly happy, so don't give up hope, just take his shoes off!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Hi i know its been years ago but my mare has just been diagnosed with navicular in her near hind. I have been tokd by the vet to try heartbar shoes. Did you manage to ride your horse still ? What happened ? Thanks Tina x

How was the diagnosis made, MRI, or just x ray?