Navicular Syndrome

Puzzles

Visit site
I've never owned a horse with Navicular but used to ride a 15-year-old TBx who had it. She wasn't jumped and only did schooling and hacking with the odd lesson, and seemed perfectly happy. She's 23 now and still enjoys hacking. I've heard horrific horror stories about horses with Navicular, so I can only presume that this horse was fortunate to have it mildly. Bit of a useless post really, only wanted to stress that it isn't all black for horses with Navicular!

3Beasties

Visit site
My 16 year old TB was diagnosed with Navicular and Arthiritus in his hocks last summer, he has it in both fronts although it is worse in one (the one he was lame on).

He had both fronts and both hocks treated with Cortisone (sp) and now wears heart bar shoes, he also has a super strength joint supplement.

Luckily he has come sound and is still happy to hack, school and jump, he's had quite an easy Winter though so the real test will come next summer when I am doing more with him and the ground is harder, if I feel he's struggling we'll just take it easy for a while :)

This was him last week on his first outing since he was diagnosed-

SAM_0252.jpg

SAM_0249.jpg

Bikerchickone

Visit site
Not my horse, but a friend's horse.

He does anything he wants now, but he is mainly a Stressage horse (his career before the navicular).

He does't really have 'navicular' any more - he's never been lame since the shoes came off in 2009......

http://www.progressivehorse.co.uk/html/shoko.html

Oberon the link doesn't seem to work? Very interested as per my thread about Rockley :)

Oberon

Visit site
Oberon the link doesn't seem to work? Very interested as per my thread about Rockley :)

Something wrong with the site tonight - try it tomorrow.

Basically Schoko was diagnosed with navicular (and a few other problems, plus some behavioural problems).

I kept my mouth shut - no point mentioning BF....no one will listen to me.

He was remedially shod for 18 months and never really sound.

In desperation the owner asked me for my trimmer's phone number.

The shoes came off in 2009 and he was trimmed by Ross Barker and has been sound ever since.

He needed help from a body worker for a while and he also had to have a new saddle due to muscling up properly.

He's back doing dressage and has genuinely beautiful and sexy feet nowadays!

Bikerchickone

Visit site
Thanks Oberon, very interesting reading. Makes me even more determined to join the BF brigade. Would be over the moon to have it work for my horse.

pastel

Visit site
we have many horses here with navicular, some retire at an early age due do this problem......in most cases we have taken the shoes off, trimmed feet regularly and rest.
1 out of 4 I would say come sound enough to go back to their owner to be ridden again, so i wouldn't give up hope!.

Leg_end

Visit site
I've know of three horses. Two are sound enough to hack and school (no tight circles) and have the occasional jump but one was PTS.

Clannad48

Visit site
Our mare was diagnosed with possible Navicular Syndrome in her front feet three and a half years ago, went down the remedial shoeing route then after a year decided to try barefoot - after initial footiness for a couple of weeks she has not had a lameness problem since. (i've probably jinxed her now)

china

Visit site
mine was diagnosed in 2010, he was hacked through the summer after having a year off to transition to barefoot, he still isnt 100% but is getting better all the time, he has had this winter off again and will be starting work again in the spring! fingers crossed for a sound tb! p.s. His feet look better than ever!! :-D