Navicular?

nomini

Visit site
Just wondering what people know about navicular disease? My mare has gone into vet college for further tests and at the moment sounding like it could be navicular, just want some info on it really and some advice from people who have had horses diagnosed with navicular on what to do with her and what you have done. Thanks in advance for your help
smile.gif

lizzie_liz

Visit site
Mine was diagnosed in 2002 by the people in newmarket at the animal health trust. we tried bute, steriods, egg bar shoes all with little success. We claimed LOU and turned her away for the winter. She came sound in 2003 and has not had one days lameness since. She has normal shoes only on her front feet and is on no supplements.
I compete every week when i am home from uni in dressage and sj and I have just afflaited her BD.

brightmount

Visit site
I am a barefoot evangelist for navicular because it saved my horse from the scrap heap. If you get a diagnosis please feel free to PM me for information.

lizzie_liz

Visit site
By the way mine has navicular syndrome i think. I was only 14 at the time so did understand much of the diagnosis. The real key to mine was taking the back shoes off and turning her away for the winter. She is the one in my sig and the picture was taken last summer.

Fingers crossed on the diagnosis, any questions feel free to PM me

Morrigan_Lady

www.teamterrellshowjumping.co.uk

We've got one with Navicular. He has, rolled toes and egg bar shoes with pads. He has one bute a day if the ground is good and he's going well, but when the ground was solid, he wasnt too sound, so we put him on too bute.
He pops the occassional small jump and we do some low level dressage on him, as long as he's sound.

ihatework

Visit site
Mine has it. Not 100% sure if it's syndrome or disease, xrays showed changes to the navicular bone but we didn't MRI so don't know if there is any soft tissue involvement too.
He's been treated with tildren and shockwave therapy plus has ongoing synequin and eggbars with silicon pads.
He is now 100 % sound, back in full work hacking/dressage/sj - all on good surfaces.
How long this continues, who knows? But at the moment he is doing really well.

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
Mines got it, both front were affected.

Shes been turned away and ive gone LOU on her but im hoping as shes barefoot and turned out i may be one of the lucky ones that it comes right- shes only 9Yrs old.

Such a waste!!

We tried bute and barefoot but to be honest, i'd prefer to let nature take its course and see if it sorts itself out- no rush for me so fingers X!