Nearly a year of broken leg :-(

MissGee

Visit site
This Sunday will mark the year anniversary of my broken leg...

When I say broken leg, I actually mean snapped in half! Compound fracture of tib and fib, had to have muscle flap (muscle taken from my back and grafted into my leg) plus skin graft, 8 1/2 months in a taylor special frame (external fixator) which didn't work so then further surgery to bone graft and plate it back together.

Still on crutches, bone now fixed (ish) but long rehab road ahead of me.

Been back on a few times, feel fine in myself (was extremely worried I would be too nervous) but can only walk, trot if far too painful, ankle just doesn't want to cooperate at the moment.

Feeling quite sorry for myself but only really because I'm frustrated and just want to be better now!! Need to literally run before I can walk...

Not look for a sympathy just wondering if anyone been through a similar thing that can offer any wise words of wisdom?

ImmyS

Visit site
Have they discussed taking the metal work out after a certain period? I suffered for 5 years with extreme pain and discomfort in my ankle after fracture and internal fixation. Had the metal work taken out late last year and it’s 99% better.

MissGee

Visit site
Have they discussed taking the metal work out after a certain period? I suffered for 5 years with extreme pain and discomfort in my ankle after fracture and internal fixation. Had the metal work taken out late last year and it’s 99% better.
No, they had to bone graft and internal fixate as my bone was not healing and I was still left with a non-union. I'm only 13 weeks since my last op so I suppose it's far too early to discuss removing anything.

Trouper

Visit site
Not broken bones but torn tendon which seemed to take as long as an equine one to diagnose and treat. Pool work was the answer to strengthen everything without stressing the rest of the body - and a lot cheaper than constant physio.

windand rain

Visit site
Not leg but similar problem with humerus it took loads of hydrotherapy to fix it it was easily 2 years from beginning to end and for it to be usable. Mind you had no surgery they couldnt because of the radial nerve involvement so the non union was a pain in neck literally as it was hung round my neck for 8 months while gravity took its time fixing it. Swimming was the only physio that worked there was a lady with a similar injury to yours she also found the hydrotherapy was the only way she could walk and build up her strength so she could get on riding her horse faster than a walk

MissGee

Visit site
Yes no problem. Well I fell off of course .... most pathetic fall I've had in my life. Was showjumping at the time, well actually I was going round a corner, me and my lad parted company, very sedately and I landed on my feet..... felt my leg bend like a piece of rubber under me, can't say it really hurt until the ladies watching shouted "she's broken her leg, we heard it snap"!

littleshetland

Visit site
Yes no problem. Well I fell off of course .... most pathetic fall I've had in my life. Was showjumping at the time, well actually I was going round a corner, me and my lad parted company, very sedately and I landed on my feet..... felt my leg bend like a piece of rubber under me, can't say it really hurt until the ladies watching shouted "she's broken her leg, we heard it snap"!
Oh god...poor you! I parted company with my horse whilst having a flatwork lesson. I felt myself sailing through the air with no horse beneath me, and thought I'd be clever and try and land on my feet......I'll never try that again. I heard my ankle snap. Compound fracture, skin flap applied on ankle (my ankle looks more like a fetlock joint than an ankle now) Lots of plates and pins inside...just bloody awful. 3 years on and I'm doing ok, and can pretty much do anything except run. It takes time, but you will get there eventually. Lets just leave the Frankie Dettori dismounts to Frankie Dettori..........and never attempt them off a moving horse!!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Oh my that sounds terrible no wonder it has taken so long to heal, I broke my ankle pretty bad 2 major breaks so have a plate in it now that was in 2017, I struggled for a long time and I must say the best help I got was physio on the NHS paid for loads of private which was rubbish, and I only started going a year after my injury, but it really did help I went on a weekly course of an hour a week and they give you stuff to do in between. I would think hospitals vary but might be worth a try if your not already doing it.

If it's any consolation and my injury was no where near as bad my ankle just would not work for ages, I totally lost the walk reflex and could not put my heal down properly as I had torn my Achilles and the ligaments down the back of my leg and foot.

Are you having any kind if physio or help at the moment?