Nearly hit the deck on Sun

Dogbetty141

Visit site
I am looking for advice over my horses feed. He is stabled throughout winter with very limited turnout. He is a bit of a scatty sppoky TB. Doesnt normally buck or throw his weight around and is normally well mannered.

Anyway on Sunday I rode in the paddock going around like normal and working in an outline which he dispises and gets veryy stroppy anyway but never does anything bad really, anyway he set off accross the paddock bucking luckily with his head in the air otherwise i would have been off. His buck is BIG

Do you think it is because he now know that he is not out anymore and is deciding to see what he can do to me? be very naughty ETC or do you think it maybe to do with his feed and the carrots and apples he has?

He has 2 feeds a day 1 small scoop of conditioning cubes large sccop of hi fi and garlic. Has carrots and apples also. He also has some economy cubes in his ball to play with so he is not bored through the day??

Help me please as I cannot copw with this all winter.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Conditioning feeds can be very heating, and personally would not be something I would feed to stabled 24 hours a day fizzy TB type.

You are most likely putting too much energy in - and your horse isn't able to expend it daily in the field.

I would cut out the conditioning feed and feed a hi fibre diet of nuts instead, and then probably only a small amount.

It's such a shame that your turnout is limited during the winter months, are there no yards by you that do all year turnout??

samp

Visit site
He does sound like he is fed a lot. I would use higher oil feed like Alfa - oil and bulk out with adlib hay and a good balancer

MagicMelon

Visit site
How about turning him out more? Sounds like he's bored and what's needs some fun! Or if you cant turn out more, maybe lunge him or just let him out in the school (if its enclosed) for half an hour to bomb about and blow off some steam. If he never gets a chance to, then he will do it when ridden!

filly190

Visit site
It sounds like he is having a play. If you have such limited turnout, it is difficult to keep him calm. Does you yard have a horse walker he can use?

Would it be possible to turn him loose in the school to let him have a buck and a roll before you ride him.

Winter is difficult and it sounds like your problem is'nt going to go away. Would it be possible to consider moving yards where you can get turnout. The system you have may not be suiting your horse.

Another idea is to find someone who does not work and that can help exercise/share your horse during the week. This may work well. Many years ago when I had a 14.2 competition pony, we found a lightweight adult who rode her out in the winter months during the week to keep her fit. In the summer I had to share to keep the good will of the lady but it did work.

Well, I cant think of anything else helpful, but dont despair, there's always a way round it and I am sure you will work out a solution. Good luck

Dogbetty141

Visit site
This time last year he was not like this and he has been on the same feed for nearly 2yrs it never affected him like it is doing now. He does get stroppy.

I described him wrong he is not fizzy just spooky. A real worry wart if you know what I mean. He is normally a kick on ride not a pull up ride.

He just seems to have grown horns. The paddock cannot be used ofr turnout

ginnyspinner

Visit site
Sounds exactly like my boy - had him over a year now and fed him last winter on Alpha a oil. top spec and Baileys no 4. This year however he is not coping with this level of feed - at the mo he is just having some alpha a oil and carrots. Very fizzy at present, probably cos hunting blew his mind, but like your horse normally he is lazy and needs leg!! Nearly decked me on Sunday too.
Hoping he will settle soon but it is stressful is it not?
I turnout for usually around 8 hours a day, but we are lucky where we are - can you not find a yard where more turnout is available? (I know this is always not an option).
My TB is stroppy too at the moment, 6 yrs and thinks he knows it all....I am sure like me you will persevere!!!

Dogbetty141

Visit site
I cant really find turnout around where my horse is stabled as the fields are bad in our area.

I will cut his feed untill he settles. I was advised last night that they are like this at this time of year due to not being allowed out very often. He will settle eventually hopefully. I lunged him and turned him out in the little paddock we have got and he was actually quite good. Not as fresh.

Doesnt help with the bad weather too it seems to always rain here.