Nearly taken out by a car whilst hacking on the road.

Mule

Visit site
I'm never 100% comfortable on the roads. I had a bad experience as a child with an idiot revving behind my horse on a tractor. If I'm hacking out with another person I'll make sure I'm right up against the ditch and they're beside the traffic. I have both a horse and human shield to hide behind;)

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
We have many corners round here one being our drive, I always trot once I am out of sight of the cars behind then walk. You always get a knob that thinks he is some sort of race and has no care of what lies ahead or round the corner. Glad your both ok.

Reacher

Visit site
Very glad you are both ok and that you are reporting it. I keep thinking I should wear headcam for exactly this sort of scenario

Brownmare

Visit site
I hope the driver gets properly dealt with, that sounds so scary! I keep thinking of getting a headcam too, just too many idiots out there and trying to memorise a reg number while controlling a frightened horse is not easy!

On that note, if you can only get a partial reg it is the ***LAST 3 LETTERS*** you need to memorise. The police will find it much easier to identify a car from those last 3 letters plus colour and make / model than from the first 4 which only give town and year of first registration.

SEL

Visit site
I always drive round blind bends as if there's a massive tractor with a spike on the front coming round it the other way. Because there could be!

Round here there often is! Especially in harvest season where there are all sort of huge machines taking up both sides of the road. I nearly saw a cyclist disappear under the wheels the other day - totally his fault when he went around a corner at speed, couldn't control the bike and ended up on the wrong side of the road. Luckily the tractor was just pulling off so doing no speed and could stop.

Buses are my real GRRRRR though. I used to hack along a busy A-road (it was the only way from yard to bridlepath) and everyone would give us room apart from the buses. Bus companies don't seem to care.

There's something about a driving instructor being at fault that makes it worse......

Annagain

Visit site
Round here there often is! Especially in harvest season where there are all sort of huge machines taking up both sides of the road. I nearly saw a cyclist disappear under the wheels the other day - totally his fault when he went around a corner at speed, couldn't control the bike and ended up on the wrong side of the road. Luckily the tractor was just pulling off so doing no speed and could stop.

Buses are my real GRRRRR though. I used to hack along a busy A-road (it was the only way from yard to bridlepath) and everyone would give us room apart from the buses. Bus companies don't seem to care.

There's something about a driving instructor being at fault that makes it worse......

The buses round our way are fabulous as is the milk tanker driver. His company must be fed up of people phoning to say thank you to him for being so brilliant judging by the number of people on Facebook saying they've done it :). I was out on M on his own the other day. He's ok on his own but much happier with a wingman.The tanker was coming so I asked him to stop and I turned M round so it could come past us not towards us as he's happier with that and as usual, he did. We had a long straight stretch behind us so as I turned I could then see a low slung boy racer car coming towards us FAST. The tanker driver increased his speed (was still pretty slow) to get past us then stuck his lorry out in the middle of the road to make sure the car slowed down. He always seems to look out for us.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
we found that but it was extremely funny in our case. Riding 2 horses on a very quiet, narrow country lane. Met a car, it was far easier for it to back a short distance than for us to go back for half a mile. We sat and waited, and waited. The driver did at least hit reverse and made a tiny amount of progress into the hedge which hid a wall. So we waited and car moved off the wall, after about 10 minutes and numerous amounts of wall hitting the woman driver and male passenger swopped places. He reversed. We stopped to thank him and he was very sheepish. Then he told us that the woman was a driving instructor. :D
Not a driving instructor (i don't think), but my favourite bizarre driver moment recently was a man in a pristine white Audi who came up behind me and little mare as we were heading up a short single track stretch of hill that is really too narrow to fit a car and horse alongside each other. I went to trot on to a passing place just ahead, but he kept coming up alongside me so I stopped to help him squeeze by as quickly as possible. The screeching and scratching as he dragged the car by in the hedge was about to make my brain pop when he decided to stop, wind down the window and said "i can't fit by" in slightly distraught voice. Bless him, I just didn't know what to say....I ended up reversing little mare down the hill (he'd blocked off my way forwards with the front of the car), and then watched him to wiggle the car around trying desperately to extract it from the hedge without causing any more damage

Annagain

Visit site
I met a stereotypical, mutton dressed as lamb, peroxide blonde bimbo (sorry I hate that expression but there's no other way to describe her!) in a convertible BMW on a narrow lane the other day when I was towing the trailer. She woud have had to reverse about 10m. I would have had to reverse the trailer about 50m. After sitting there for about 45 seconds she toddled out of he car in ridiculously high stilettos to tell me she couldn't reverse and I would have to. I offered to reverse her car for her but the way she looked at my wellies I could tell she didn't want me any where near her cream leather seats. I huffed and puffed and told her I would reverse the trailer but she had to walk up the road to stop any other cars coming down to the place where I'd have to pull in. I didn't really need her to do that but wasn't going to let her get off scot-free ;). It was quite amusing watching her trying to dodge muddy puddles in white jeans and silver stilettos :D When she got back in the car, she accidentally put it in reverse and shot backwards into a hedge rather than driving past me. I don't know if she was embarrassed but she didn't even make eye contact to say thank you as she drove past!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
On that note, if you can only get a partial reg it is the ***LAST 3 LETTERS*** you need to memorise. The police will find it much easier to identify a car from those last 3 letters plus colour and make / model than from the first 4 which only give town and year of first registration.
That’s very interesting, thank you. We did get the full reg at the time and I kept repeating it out loud, but by the time we got home I could only recall ??68 and the last three letters. We were quite shaken and didn’t want to stop and get our phones out to record the number while still on the road. We got the colour of the car but not the make, it’s some obscure SUV hybrid (know that from the driving school website).

Haven’t heard anything back from the driving school yet. I don’t want the driver out of a job, but I do want him to be made to undergo some further training as a way of getting across how dangerous his driving was. It just happened to be me on a horse that he nearly took out, but it could have been anyone. The road and that bend is used by a lot of dog walkers, for instance. He will be familiar with the road, he lives 2.5 miles away...

ETA This pic is from last year and isn’t quite the same hi viz that we were kitted out in yesterday, but is pretty much the same, except that I had a short sleeved bright yellow polo shirt on, not a long sleeved top, and the quarter sheet was the orange and yellow one worn by Tammy in my avatar. Hard to miss spotting this, you’d think, wouldn’t you?

98C9D79A-2F58-45EB-BA06-9FC37D728889.jpeg

Last edited:

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I have heard nothing more from the driving school boss. This is very disappointing, but maybe not surprising.

I have sent him the skid mark photos. There are other unrelated skid marks there, he is not the only driver to misjudge that bend!

35FF861C-E486-40D3-BADA-869F9BC28F24.jpeg

BE0EF8B4-2129-4B2B-9398-24CB61E3BD75.jpegIs it reasonable to expect me to drop it and move on? I am sorely tempted, if I hear nothing more, to post sarcastic reviews of the driving school on the internet, but maybe that is just me being childish.

maisie06

Visit site
Every time a sign written vehicle comes past me too fast, I ring their company. Most of the local firms now know me and they all slow down. It's doubly stupid to drive like an idiot when your name, or the company's name, is plastered all over the side of your vehicle!

People really are idiots - as a pedestrian on a public footpath that serves as a road access to a doggy day care place I have had a few run in's with nutters flying along at ridiculous speeds in a hurry to dump their dog at the centre - the last idiot had a company van who were not amused when I commented on their twitter page as to why I wouldn't be using them as a carpet company due to their driver's disgusting attitude, got a full apology and haven't seen him since....me thinks he shouldn't have had a dog in a company vehicle either....

maisie06

Visit site
I have heard nothing more from the driving school boss. This is very disappointing, but maybe not surprising.

I have sent him the skid mark photos. There are other unrelated skid marks there, he is not the only driver to misjudge that bend!

View attachment 34505

View attachment 34506Is it reasonable to expect me to drop it and move on? I am sorely tempted, if I hear nothing more, to post sarcastic reviews of the driving school on the internet, but maybe that is just me being childish.

I would find their twitter page and a call to the local rag may be worthwhile - personally if it was my employee and drove like that he would be looking for another job....

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
There must surely be an organisation that oversees driving schools and their behaviour. For instance what happens if an instructor is convicted of a driving offence?

Do you know what the police have done, if anything?

Fragglerock

Visit site
I would find their twitter page and a call to the local rag may be worthwhile - personally if it was my employee and drove like that he would be looking for another job....

Sometimes driving schools are run as franchises and he may not be an employee as such.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The chap from Cheshire police who took my call when I phoned 101 was very sympathetic, and gave me an incident number, but he said that in reality all that will happen is that local patrols will be given details of the vehicle and will look out for it.

It’s a franchise operation with 8 driving instructors listed on their website as being members.

This is, I believe, the car involved. There is just one local franchisee, and he drives this car. It was certainly a white car with ‘Geoff Capes Driving School’ emblazoned all over in red sign writing. I have his address thanks to Google maps, who thoughtfully have it marked as a business. The franchise owner ID’d the car on the phone as his local franchisee’s vehicle, but said that he wasn’t working (ie instructing) that day.

I will report it to the DVSA as well, thanks cbmcts for the link.

380C99CD-DFEE-4718-889A-A952A2EA9407.jpeg

Last edited:

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I will gather together a brief factual report of what happened, the lack of response since, and will hit the review buttons. I’d have much rather had a proper fess up from the driver and a promise that lessons had been learned and it won’t happen again etc, but it seems that it will not be forthcoming.

I am a bit out of my comfort zone doing this, but if needs must...

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The thing is wouldn't have taken much of a response, even just a 'I'll make sure all my drivers get a reminder' would have probably been satisfactory.
Exactly that. It was left with the driving school boss that he would speak to his driver, find out his side of what happened and then I would hear back. But there has been radio silence since.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
If I put a negative review on the driving school Facebook page, can that be taken down?

Anyone got good advice as to where would be a good site to leave a negative review? I’m rather new at all this, I’d rather deal with someone directly.

canteron

Visit site
They are just taking the easy path by ignoring the problem ..... the only way is to make it the difficult way but being quietly persistently annoying with emails/phone calls etc.

Explain you are going to put a formal complaint to the DVLA (who I understand control driving instructor licensing) unless you understand he has dealt with the issue appropriately?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
If I put a negative review on the driving school Facebook page, can that be taken down?

Anyone got good advice as to where would be a good site to leave a negative review? I’m rather new at all this, I’d rather deal with someone directly.

Yes, I believe Facebook reviews can be. I did a bad review once (truthful) and the business reported me to FB as a something or other and removed he review. I was not able to review anything for ages! I had screenshot my review and appealed to FB, as it was honest and fair, but they would not eve look at it.

I just had a look at the FB page you highlighted, and the review is not there!

I also know this from the dodgy dealer FB pages, with loads of good reviews and no bad ones.

ETA - You may attract more attention from the owner of the brand if you put the review on the main FB page rather than the specific Malpas one... https://www.facebook.com/pg/drivinglessonsstockport/reviews/?ref=page_internal

I would imagine it will still be removed, but at least big cheese will have to speak with local man.

Other than that Google do reviews...

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...!2m3!1f0!2f0!3f0!3m2!1i67759!2i1462845!4f13.1

Maybe those reviews are not taken down? Looks like they are not, as there are some rubbish ones on there for other businesses, but they do have a right to reply which is fair enough.

Last edited: