Neck Covers, do you use them?

A horse’s aerobic capacity for exercise is best indicated by

• Total voters

vicm2509

Visit site
I am giving my horse a full clip next week. I a bit worried about neck covers though. I currenly put him out in a very LW turnout when the weather is really bad. I was thinking of leaving this on him permanantly when I clip him next week as he really isnt wooly at the moment so he shouldnt get too cold. Then in a few weeks swapping him to his MW. Now his MW has a full detachable neck, but his HW only has a high neck. By the time he is in his HW he will be in at night so will it be ok?

Now his stable rug...none of them have neck covers. My heavy weight mark todd one does have a neck cover which I can buy (for £50) but I was wondereing do I really need one?

I remember when I had my last horse, I dont even think neck covers were invented, lol. I dont want him to get cold though so please can I have your opinions? He will have a full clip all winter (with legs on though)

Kelly1982

Visit site
I do use a neck cover but only when the weather is bad or cold.

On the mare is used to ride though she had ono on more or less all the time as she used to roll really bad and she used to go bald when you tried picking the mud off.

miller

Visit site
Only when weather is awful - my lad was clipped out 2 weeks ago and he had a neck cover rug (amigo thing I have on trial) on on saturday as his standard one was still wet from friday.

Amigo neck is no fill - not that it was much cop!
mad.gif

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
We use neck covers as soon as the horses are clipped. None are clipped yet, and wont be until it gets really cold. When you are rugging up 20 horses every night it is a lot easier just to flick the neck up on them, it is like adding an extra layer but without the hassle.
Our horses are in serious work, our vet recommends neck covers/duvets to keep throat infections at bay, which is common for racehorses in winter.

charlie76

Visit site
I use a rug with a full neck in the field and in the stable once he is clipped. I also use one of the stretchy lycra ones to turn him out in as i HATE mud!!!
Shame they rub their manes though.

MrsMagoo

Visit site
is the lycra one ok to turn out in?? My girly wears one in her stable but didnt think it would during daytime??

She hasnt got neck on in field at mo but in a few weeks time when weather really changes she 'll have winter rugs on, all of which have necks, even indoors...

the watcher

Visit site
One will have a neck cover as we pull her mane anyway. the native is clipped out but a neck cover rubs off too much mane, this year we didn't show at all because it hadn't grown back, don't want to be in that position again so she will not have any neck cover (does have a mostly thick mane thought).
They will both be in at night so get ample opportunity to dry off in any case. I don't have neck covers on the stable rugs

flower

Visit site
Not now because they have rubbed the mane out of every horse I have used them on and other liveries/friends horses - although the detachable ones seem to be slightly better than the rugs with the all in one necks.

I didn't use one last year and she didn't seem any colder or to get any woolier a neck than the previous year when she had one on stable and turn out rug.

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
For a full clip I always have:
In the stable during the day - Combo under rug, high neck stable rug and possibly a fleece if they're not warm enough.
Stable at night - combo under rug, horse duvet, high neck stable, fleece hood with sheep on and matching sheepy bandages
wink.gif

In the field - lycra hood, weatherbeeta orican combo.
horses will be in their stables all the time unless it is dry and not too muddy, I suffer badly enough with the cold as it is without having to wash clay mud off feet
crazy.gif
never ever had a problem with combo rugs rubbing out manes though.

kat
xx

madgirl

Visit site
well major will have a combo rug on in the field and a stable rug and a duvet and fleece in stable will probs be full clipped !!
no nck in the stable

vicm2509

Visit site
Thanks for the replies everyone. Looks like I may need to do a bit of rug shopping before I clip him then. I think I will get a nice MW turnout with neck, then get a LW stable with neck, that way U can put that under his other rugs as the weather gets colder.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I use them when weather is really bad / cold on the horses who are clipped. But then mine live out all the time so they need them more! But I have a full neck stable one which they have on when standing about at shows too.