NED

Lou_Lou123

Visit site
I apologise if this has been discussed before, but I haven't seen a post on it. Also, I know it's not strictly competition riders but I only really read this part of the forum and feel at home here (even though I don't actually post that much) and would be interested in people's opinions.

I posted a couple of days ago trying to trace my horses breeding. Someone suggested that I try NED and I remembered that I had tried to register with them last year (when I originally tried to trace his breeding) but had trouble linking my profile to my horses passport and competition record. I thought I would try again, but was told that my address details didn't match that of the horses passport
confused.gif
I have owned him since Jan 2008 and sent his passport to be updated almost immediately.

I sent a quick email to NED and got a helpful reply from them saying that my address didn't match, but that they can only use information supplied by PIOs and that as the PIOs don't update regularly there was nothing they could do, which I totally understand. Apparently the law states that the PIOs should send an update every 4-6 weeks, but that not all do. NED display when each PIO last updated:

NED data suppliers

I was a little disappointed
frown.gif
Has anyone else tried to use NED to look at a horses breeding or competition record? Is the database not working because it was overambitious to be able to store all this data in one place or are the PIOs just being a bit slack? I'd be interested to know what others think as when I first read about the idea it sounded good, but doesn't seem to be doing its job.

Sorry that ended up being a bit long... I hope I haven't sent anyone to sleep
blush.gif

Hornby

Visit site
As far as I can work out NED wants "points" from me to allow me to link my horse to my record and see reports on my horse's performance (which are already available from the affliated body for no charge!) So I won't be updating anything on there as points = £££! (No even if it is pennies! I am mean).

Lou_Lou123

Visit site
I had some free points because I was so keen and signed up last year when I first tried to trace his breeding otherwise I probably wouldn't want to pay!

Gamebird

Visit site
I used it to verify my horse's breeding (passport lost by previous owner therefore the onus was on me to prove breeding and ownership before it would be re-issued) and by knowing the sire I managed to get a list of all his progeny for the appropriate year and very quickly had the dam and breeder details by process of elimination. It took about 5 mins in total and used 2 of my points - thankfully I had registered last year and got free points.

My horse has now been named and the passport re-issued but his name doesn't appear on his NED entry. However on checking your list my PIO last updated NED on the 15th of July so that explains a lot!

sywell

Visit site
NED list the date they last uploaded PIOs data but the do not show when the last upload was received and how long it took to upload there are suggestions that at the moment it takes 4 or 5 weeks for NED to enter the data. I cannot see that tmy 10/07/2009 has been uploaded. There are also many changes requested by NED to how data is supplied and most PIOs are volunteers and during the summer months they struggle to cope with the workload generated by shows and connot cope with these requests. It is also worth pointing out that NED matches passports to who issued them not to horses as such. As an example when a horse at birth is issued by a breed society with a certificate or origin and effectively a 15 digit UELN and the owner when told "they have to get a new DEFRA passport" go and get them anywhere and some PIOs have not been careful enough and suggesting they go to the organisation that issued the pedigree certificate so you have horses with pedigree documents from a studbook PIO and passports issued by the Horse Passport Agency and no link to the Studbook of origin. There is no one on the NED board who represents the Studbook PIO Stakeholders nominated by them and is regularly facing passport complaints and problems and who works with Trading Standards Officers so NED will always behind the curve. When the stakeholders supported the BEF bid to run the NED they were given to understand they would be involved in the decision making process but this has not happened only meetings to be told what NED wants not what Breed Society PIOs want.

dieseldog

Visit site
I do think it is a bit cheeky that they now expect us to spend points - which you have to buy, to update their database with the correct information.