Need a bit of advice re: arena surface

Moomin1

Visit site
Bit of a strange question but I only have access to an arena across the road to ride my horse in. It's a lovely arena except that it is on a dealer's yard and he doesn't rake/flatten it out at all. There used to be a woman on our yard who had a mini tractor who used to do it but she has left now and the school is getting in a mess (the dealer rides his horses in there very irregularly).

Today my mare tripped and ended up on her knees and me nearly headbutting her neck (this is the second time this has happened) because the surface is so deep and uneven now.

I don't have any access to a tractor and the dealer isn't interested in sorting it, so I was wondering if anyone has any handy tips on how to sort this myself, as I really don't feel it is safe to canter in at the moment? Short of getting a garden rake I don't have a clue!!! :eek:

meesha

Visit site
I grade my arena about once a week - I have a home made grader I pull with the 4x4. Using a 4x4 or possibly car with tow hitch or ride on mower you could drag round an old gate or if farmer has a very small one a harrow (turned upside down)

If you have to do it manually you can buy large metal rakes which make a good job of it.

Moomin1

Visit site
I grade my arena about once a week - I have a home made grader I pull with the 4x4. Using a 4x4 or possibly car with tow hitch or ride on mower you could drag round an old gate or if farmer has a very small one a harrow (turned upside down)

If you have to do it manually you can buy large metal rakes which make a good job of it.

Would that work Meesha? The rake, I mean - I didn't want to sound like a complete fool mentioning it but it really is the only option I have!! :eek:

Moomin1

Visit site
Does your horse drive or long rein? I know of one yard uses a little driving pony to tow round a leveller/grader

:eek: Just having terrible mental images of attaching a leveller to my mare!! Lol!!

That sounds like a fantastic idea though - and Cobrastyle on HHO used to own a little section a gelding who was my mare's best friend and he probably would have been ideal for that job - very cool headed!! Alas, he isn't around now so will have to resort to the hand held rake I suppose! :D

meesha

Visit site
Horse drawn rake would be quicker but if u do it u must video Haha. Hand rake good workout and will level surface out although won't compact it down much. Lots people have to take edges in even if have a grader as they don't get right up to boards. U will be fit in no time!

MileAMinute

Visit site
That sounds like a fantastic idea though - and Cobrastyle on HHO used to own a little section a gelding who was my mare's best friend and he probably would have been ideal for that job - very cool headed!! Alas, he isn't around now so will have to resort to the hand held rake I suppose! :D

Ahhh, he would have had a job after all! Bless his little socks. Doesn't David have a harrowing thing?

Moomin1

Visit site
Ahhh, he would have had a job after all! Bless his little socks. Doesn't David have a harrowing thing?

Yeah but I don't really feel I can ask him to level the arena for me!

Thanks for replies everyone, I think hand held rake and blood, sweat and tears is the way forward!! Don't have a 4x4 or any means of pulling a gate etc and my geegee would never be seen again if I tried attaching on to her!