Need advice and also an intro 😊

Visit site
Hi everyone, new here!

I need some advice. So, I have recently moved to a new yard and this one has an arena (yay!). I would like to start schooling my horse as she has never been schooled before and I think she will become a lovely horse once we get into it. I just don't know what to start with. And also another thing I'm struggling with is I keep losing my stirrups or they slip when I'm asking my horse to transition from trot to canter. Does anyone have any tips on how to stop this as its a pain 😔

Landcruiser

Visit site
I think it probably depends what you are doing it for to some extent. There are plenty of books with a variety of exercises, such as "101 Schooling Exercises for Horse and Rider" by Jaki Bell. But it would be worth looking around for a suitable trainer who will point you in the right direction - particularly if you are still struggling a bit with the basics ie keeping your stirrups.
Have fun though :)

BOWS28

Visit site
Hi :) As a rider with very long legs, i have always ridden long and felt more comfortable and stable doing so. Although, if you're struggling to keep your feet in the stirrups correctly, i'd say either shorted them by a hole or two OR concentrate on your position and weight distribution. If your horse is slightly on the lazy side, i have seen riders that tend to tip their toes down and heels up and in the horses side, if you like. As suggested already, have some lunge lessons on a more experienced, balanced and forward going horse so you are able to concentrate more on you, your position and correct aids. Enjoy x

oldie48

Visit site
If a horse hasn't been schooled it generally means they are used to going in straight lines so will lack suppleness and find circles and corners difficult and may find it impossible to canter round an arena. As others have said, I'd have some lessons with a good trainer who can assess your horse and suggest a programme of exercises that you can do in the school and on your hacks together. If you are losing both stirrups in canter then you do probably have them too long if it's just one, you might not be sitting straight or the horse may be pushing you to the right or the left perhaps because your saddle is slipping or because he is stiffer on one side? Again a good trainer will help assess you with this. Have fun in the arena but I try not to use it too much in case my horse gets a bit sour.

DD

Visit site
Hi and Welcome . no suggestions other than those mentioned above, but would like to say I hope you and your horse have many great times together and that you enjoy your new yard.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
I’ve recently taken my pony from never being schooled to getting 56% in our first intro ☺️ There is no better feeling than seeing your hard work pay off!

I can’t recommend enough getting a good and kind instructor, I have been so lucky in finding an instructor I (and pony) have clicked with.

Take it slow and steady, use poles and cones to practice straightness and rythym. Can you get out to any clinics? I found these were a great way of monitoring our progress and added a bit of variety.

I set up an Instagram account so I could look back on videos and our progress. Make sure you post updates on your progress too!

Visit site
I’ve recently taken my pony from never being schooled to getting 56% in our first intro ☺️ There is no better feeling than seeing your hard work pay off!

I can’t recommend enough getting a good and kind instructor, I have been so lucky in finding an instructor I (and pony) have clicked with.

Take it slow and steady, use poles and cones to practice straightness and rythym. Can you get out to any clinics? I found these were a great way of monitoring our progress and added a bit of variety.

I set up an Instagram account so I could look back on videos and our progress. Make sure you post updates on your progress too!
Oh wow well done! Luckily there is an instructor down the road from me who holds clinics in her arena so that should be helpful. I think the Instagram account is a good idea will try that 😊

melbournesunrise

Visit site
In terms of the stirrups, I found that I had a similar problem but, due to a knee injury, struggled to shorten my stirrups comfortably for a time.

To help, I used to stand on the edge of a step at the bottom of the stairs, with my feet positioned so that I could let my weight sink backwards into my heels. I used to go up onto tip toes, then go down into the heels. It helped to stretch and relax my leg muscles. It worked wonders for me! Every time I want to try and extend my leg length for dressage (which I do on a whim every now and again), I take this practice back up so that I don't lose a stirrup.

Visit site
In terms of the stirrups, I found that I had a similar problem but, due to a knee injury, struggled to shorten my stirrups comfortably for a time.

To help, I used to stand on the edge of a step at the bottom of the stairs, with my feet positioned so that I could let my weight sink backwards into my heels. I used to go up onto tip toes, then go down into the heels. It helped to stretch and relax my leg muscles. It worked wonders for me! Every time I want to try and extend my leg length for dressage (which I do on a whim every now and again), I take this practice back up so that I don't lose a stirrup.
Oh wow will be trying that 😊

Visit site
Why not join your local Riding Club or Pony Club? Most have regular training sessions and you will make friends as well.
I'm thinking of joining the pony club actually. I'm 14 so I think it should be alright but I was thinking of joining after I've managed to sort myself out and get some schooling exercises done. Or does that not matter?

Reactions: DD

Vodkagirly

Visit site
If you used to be ok with the stirrup length, it may be that you are a bit tight in the hip flexors at the moment. Have a Google as there are lots of exercises online that would help.
Worth getting a decent instructor to help as well.

sport horse

Visit site
I'm thinking of joining the pony club actually. I'm 14 so I think it should be alright but I was thinking of joining after I've managed to sort myself out and get some schooling exercises done. Or does that not matter?

Can you find out who runs your local branch of the Pony Club? If you can find the DC of the branch ring her up, tell her where you are and it has been suggested that you join the PC and join in instruction. If you are not made to feel really welcome, I would be horrified. I am sure you will be. Remember we all started somewhere so do not feel you are not good enough. It is not where you start but where you end up that is important. Good luck.

Visit site
Can you find out who runs your local branch of the Pony Club? If you can find the DC of the branch ring her up, tell her where you are and it has been suggested that you join the PC and join in instruction. If you are not made to feel really welcome, I would be horrified. I am sure you will be. Remember we all started somewhere so do not feel you are not good enough. It is not where you start but where you end up that is important. Good luck.
My friend is part of the pony club nearest to me so I'll ask her. Thank you!