Need advice - please respond!

pottamus

Visit site
Hi, I need to know what you would be willing to pay for someone to buy a map and mark it up with all the bridleways and riding routes on it for your particular county. Bear in mind the map costs £7 plus postage...what would you be prepared to pay?
Someone has offered to do this for me and I am very keen to have it but don't know about a fair price as it is quite time consuming!
Thanks a miliion, the more answers the better please!
smile.gif

Rambo

Visit site
I'm not sure i'd pay anything tbh...aren't bridleways already marked on an OS map
crazy.gif

If they've offered the service to you, have they offered a price they want for it ?

pottamus

Visit site
Sorry, did not explain too well...this is a service she is looking to offer to people that do not have or cannot be bothered to get Ordnance survey maps or are new to an area and do not know where to start with bridleways...these people do exist beleive it or not. So they will be getting a map showing all the bridleways highlighted and some nice riding routes highlighted also for them to follow and explore...hope that is a bit clearer!
This does not necessary apply to me but thought it would be easier to pose it as me rather than try to explain fully! Sorry
smile.gif

Rambo

Visit site
Why would someone who couldn't be bothered to get an OS map with the routes marked on, be bothered to get your friends map
confused.gif

melv1lle

sams-progress.blogspot.com
Still think it will be tricky to compete against the Trailfinder maps though - I recently moved from Cheshire to Berkshire and have spent many a happy day exploring the area on my horse using the Trailfinder map only. Although should admit that I did Geography at uni and so spent a happy hour getting my highlighter pens out and highlighting all the bridlepaths! For those not as sad as me this idea of your friends might be perfect
grin.gif

Sparklet

Visit site
I think you would need to offer something in additon to marking bridleways because as other posters have said these are already available on OS route. One of the biggest problems for riders new to the area is that they dont know which roads are quiet and which are used at rat runs so having some sort of code system to highlight suitable quiet roads along with places where lorries/trailers could be parked would be really good.

melv1lle

sams-progress.blogspot.com
That is a very good idea - and also marking on spooky areas e.g. I only discovered there was a pig farm near us when my horse nearly threw me in front of a landrover coming the other way. Not a good situation
crazy.gif
If you could mark stuff like that on it would be very valuable. Plus things like low flying aircraft areas etc.

airedale

Visit site
not a lot as that information is free online from my local county council website (Surrey).

They have an interactive map on their site which shows all the rights of way and you can select to display footpaths (or not), bridlepaths and BOATS.

You can then print out the map yourself !!!

The other advantage of this is that the map has all the official bridepath numbers on it so if there is a bridleway problem you can identify which path it is to the local Rights of Way officer to get the path cleared.

So my answer is £0

ClareMc

Visit site
It is a bit similar to those books of local walks you see in local newsagents, bookshops.

Somone has written up the route, all based on footpaths and roads. Rather than having to rely on mpa reading skills

They tend to be just photocopied, cheaply put together and sell for a few pounds.

So for a similar thing with bridleways probably could not charge much.