Need advice

Berkeley

Visit site
Ok - this is following my weight loss post in the main lounge.

My TB eats like a horse, usually!

I have been away for the week (she is on full livery) and went to see her last night. She has dropped weight dramatically.

This morning I noticed she didn't finish all her dinner which is very odd. She didn't eat her hay either.

I took her to the nearby field and let her graze, which she did - allot.

This evening I gave her dinner - didn't eat it. She hasn't been as keen on her hay either. I let her out of her stable to walk about and noticed she had her head low and dragged her back hooves along the ground. She seems very weak on her back legs. She then walked in her stable and faced the wall, lifting up her top lip.

I will call the vet tomorrow if she hasn't improved. Anyone know what this could be? is anyone's horses doing/done the same?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Do you think she could be in season?

Some horses will turn their noses up at the their hardfeed, once they start getting some spring grass...

Berkeley

Visit site
She could be. Her field is grass free - its really awful which is why I am looking for another yard which has more to offer in terms of grazing.

Another thing, she is weeing an awful lot. More than usual - very concentrated too.

Berkeley

Visit site
She hasn't reacted like this before in season - but you know what - it just could be a bad case of PMT! I might give her some bute for a could of days.

Berkeley

Visit site
Her oxygen levels are ok, she's drinking fine. My first thoughts were a urine infection so bought her bigger salt lick to encourage her to drink more.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Her oxygen levels are ok, she's drinking fine. My first thoughts were a urine infection so bought her bigger salt lick to encourage her to drink more.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ah, so the vet's seen her?

Berkeley

Visit site
No. There is someone on the yard that's a bit of a guru - looked in her mouth and said that her oxygen levels were fine. I am not taking anyone's word for it though which is why I will seek the vet's advice tomorrow if there is no improvement.

dsophiea

Visit site
sometimes a horse will curl its top lip as it activates natural endorphins when they are in pain. would deffinatly ring the vet if she was my horse.

Berkeley

Visit site
Yeah - she curled her lip up a couple of times when she sniffed her food so it could be a 'no thanks!' Either way, yes, the vet.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
To me your mare is showing signs of having tied up recently.

I certainly think it's worth getting the vet to give her the once over, including a blood test. Do check for dehydration - and add an electroylte to her feed - with something like sugar beat to encourage her to eat it.