Need cheering up

shirl62

Visit site
Was getting excited for Margaret and I's riding holiday in Italy next month in Umbria. We had been there last yearand had a fabulous time. Things have beeb going great with our little cobs. A week past Sunday we went out on a hack..Was having a great canter when my boy decided to have a little spook whin in turn unseated me and off I came. I didn't even hurt mysels as I fell on grass, butwas a bit dazedand realised I had bumped my head. After sitting for a little while I got back on my boy and went on our way home. Apart from a little headache I seemed fine. Two days later I was sitting out in the sun when my left side went numbwhich lasted about 20 mins. I went to hospital and had a scan of my head.Was told scan was ok. We were only home an hour when the numbness came back . I thought I was having a strokeso dialled 999 and was taken to a different hospital. I had another scan and it has turned out I have had 2 subdural haematomas which has been caused by an anteplatelet drug and aspirin. I have spent a week in hospital lwill need to rest for a few months, obviosly our holiday has been cancelled and I am not allowed to drive for 6 months. Feeling very down at the moment but will do everything I am told to do

Shirl

dogatemysalad

Visit site
What rotten luck. Really hope you're feeling better soon and don't get too frustrated with your enforced rest. It's such a shame about your holiday, will you be able to rebook next year ?

Shady

Visit site
Oh that's terrible Shirl , have some hugs from me and make sure you do do exactly as you've been told.
I had a bit of a fall and didn't know i'd torn my carotid artery, had a bit of a headache for a few weeks and a blocked nose then had a stroke whilst out riding in the middle of nowhere , oops.
Just as well you phoned 999. Wish i'd taken more notice myself , I probably wouldn't be blind in one eye now if I had.
Sorry about your holiday , i'm sure your lovely twin won't hold it against you!!!

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Well you definitely deserve to feel sorry for yourself.
Was listening to an interview with an Olympic hockey player this morning who has also been laid up after a head injury. It will get better, just rest and look after yourself x

Roxylola

Visit site
Oh gosh that's rubbish, however all things happen for a reason and if I'm reading right the head issues were not in relation to the actual fall itself and more of a coincidence (or perhaps it triggered something that was brewing). At least though it has happened here and not in Italy or perhaps worse on the plane; I know the NHS could be vastly improved but I'd far rather be getting treatment in the UK than abroad. Fingers crossed you are much better soon

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
What an absolutely rotten thing for you but I agree with Roxylola, if it was going to happen you were absolutely in the right place i.e. not deep in the middle of nowhere in Italian countryside (beautiful as it may be). Look after yourself

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Oh 'eck, Shirl! Thank goodness it has been diagnosed now and been dealt with. You will be able to to Italy next year.

I came off my ID, thought I was ok except for a headache and needing a new hat (which made me very cross as the damaged one was only a few weeks old) and several months later felt very faint at work. My colleagues thought I was having a heart attack and called an ambulance, fortunately the problem was found to be a trapped nerve in my neck, resulting from the fall.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Last edited:

shirl62

Visit site
Oh gosh that's rubbish, however all things happen for a reason and if I'm reading right the head issues were not in relation to the actual fall itself and more of a coincidence (or perhaps it triggered something that was brewing). At least though it has happened here and not in Italy or perhaps worse on the plane; I know the NHS could be vastly improved but I'd far rather be getting treatment in the UK than abroad. Fingers crossed you are much better soon

It was caused by the head injury.causing a bleed due to a drug called clopidogrel which i had been taking with aspirin as I have 7 cardiac stents..and it was to keep stents patent

shirl62

Visit site
Oh 'eck, Shirl! Thank goodness it has been diagnosed now and been dealt with. You will be able to to Italy next year.

I came of my ID, thought I was ok except for a headache and needing a new hat (which made me very cross as the damaged one was only a few weeks old) and several months later felt very faint at work. My colleagues thought I was having a heart attack and called an ambulance, fortunately the problem was found to be a trapped nerve in my neck, resulting from the fall.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!
Oh dear what bad luck..This is the first time I have fallen off my boywho I have had for nearly a year. Margaret fell off too trying to brake quickly...and not trample me...Should have worn my sticky bum tights. Mags and I were mortified hoping no-one saw us flying off.