Need energy for my laid back TB

dixie

Visit site
My 8yr old TB is very laid back. This is good in some ways but he don’t half make me work hard and he needs to have a bit more oomph.

As a background he had hind gut ulcers. He’s currently on a small dose of Sucralfate and herbs such as mint, slippery elm, meadowsweet and marshmallow and on the whole this is working ok.
before lockdown I was feeding him oats too. This was fine but I feel oats might not be best for him. I trialled Succeed supplement which is oat based for ulcers during first month of lockdown (when I wasn’t riding) and he progressively got worse.
He is fairly fit. It is his nature as he takes everything in his stride and doesn’t generally get flustered Altho he has the odd moments.
He’s currently out 24/7 and fed Thunderbrooks chaff, Equi Jewell, salt, supplements, carrots.

Any suggestions please than I can consider mostly on the feeding side. I intend to event him so I would appreciate a bit more natural energy. I can’t feed him Alfalfa.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
You could try Coolstance Copra Meal which is often recommended for horses which need an ulcer friendly diet. It's slow release energy, but is made from the whites of coconut. My boy is on it and he feels great.