Need girth recommendations.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I was thinking about a prolite but have just seen a couple of posts not in their favour and if I'm going to spend ££££ I do not want to be looking at it and wondering if it is right!

The Beast needs a 32 inch dressage girth, possibly even a 34 inch if such things exist. Big barrel, forward girth groove, wide between front legs. Have been using a straight dressage girth but just feel like she's not comfortable with it. So maybe some shape to it.

Budget, a prolite would be top end of what I would like to spend so no 200 quid girths!

Any thoughts? It's the size that is stumping me. Most of the ones I look at seem to stop at 30 inch.

Noble

Visit site
I have just ordered a Christ Moon Girth for my big shouldered, big barrel girl with a forward girth groove, they go up to 36". £110 is a little over budget though. Would you like me to update when it arrives?

PapaverFollis

Visit site
What about asking a saddler to make one?

I hadn't thought of that, but wouldn't know where to start... to Google!

Kramer...(if you trust it will be delivered) do some cheapy memory foam copies, good for gauging size and fit, also go up to 32 if my memory serves correctly

A bit concerned about delivery from Kramer at the moment but will have a look.

I have just ordered a Christ Moon Girth for my big shouldered, big barrel girl with a forward girth groove, they go up to 36". £110 is a little over budget though. Would you like me to update when it arrives?

Yes please. IIrc MrPF really liked the look of those girths when we've browsed before so might be persuaded to budget stretch. Especially if we could get a 34"

Noble

Visit site
It is on it's way so I will report back, I can PM you pictures if you like. I have a Harry Dabbs like the one sbloom has linked to, it is blooming awful on my mare but if you would like to try it you are welcome. It is only 30" unfortunately but would give you an idea.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
That's very kind Noble. I don't think it's worth me trying a 30 inch though, even for the shape, it's just too short. And from your description I think we have similar shaped horses. I suspect we'll end up with the Christ L girth as well...

palo1

Visit site
Here's a budget option, no idea if there is a 34", the Dabbs website is singularly unhelpful on girths! This isn't as nice a shape IMO as the long girth equivalent, but should work for many horses:

https://www.daviddyersaddles.co.uk/product/curved_waffle_girth

These are lovely girths but unfortunately I had a real issue with mine. :( It probably just wasn't the 'right' girth but my poor mare hated it and started to get very antsy about having it on. I know it was the girth because as soon as I changed to a stubben string girth all was completely fine again. I have no idea why she didn't like it tbh but my saddle fitter recommended it. It was very slippy and I wonder if somehow it might have been catching her hair or something...

GoldenWillow

Visit site
I bought my Ideal affinity girth after a recommendation on here and really like it. Lovely soft leather and with strong elastic.

He had a tendency to be rubbed so I was using either a sheepskin or neoprene lined girth but wanted a leather one as going on the beach a lot meant that sand getting in the sheepskin/neoprene which I was concerned about.

Northern Hare

Visit site

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site

Can't comment on the shaped options but have GP and Dressage girths and a saddlecloth from Christ and the sheepskin is amazing quality, so soft. I think the black looks really smart and discreet too The girths being backed onto nylon wash really well on a delicate wool wash in the washing machine with Christ's own detergent.

gostelr

Visit site
I have a total saddle fit shoulder relief dressage girth that's a 34 inch - I got the synthetic & it seems to work for a forward girth groove.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
These are lovely girths but unfortunately I had a real issue with mine. :( It probably just wasn't the 'right' girth but my poor mare hated it and started to get very antsy about having it on. I know it was the girth because as soon as I changed to a stubben string girth all was completely fine again. I have no idea why she didn't like it tbh but my saddle fitter recommended it. It was very slippy and I wonder if somehow it might have been catching her hair or something...

This is the problem and why I've never spent a LONG time looking into girths, because it's a minefield and so often unpredictable as to whether a horse will get on with a given girth. I love the long version of that girth, and the Stubben, and any good softly padded Atherstone with a slight W shape, or even a straight shape with good elbow shaping. If the horse has the room for it then the wider the girth the better. Elastic, for the way I fit saddles, is generally better than none (except Stubben cord), but that's not so crucial for dressage girths, and it should be strong elastic at both ends, never one end. Too many have flimsy elastic which pulls tight, all it does is help you fasten a too-short girth, and I do not see overtightening issues from elasticated girths, I see it more often with fixed girths as people assume it's not possible to over tighten them!

I'm not a great fan of the shaped girths that try and relieve pressure at the front edge as most, on native and cob shapes, place pressure on the back edge.

I think the newer expensive designs like the Scharf and the other "clever" ones that have sternum pads articulated with girth straps, can be brilliant, and make total sense, but again they don't work for all horses or with all set ups.

I know you can hire a Fairfax but a girth rental service would be a little business idea for someone!