Need help choosing a jacket!!

crazyracers

New User
Visit site
my friend has a 17yr old 16hh bright bay tb (ex racer) that she would like 2 take 2 some shows 2 do veteran classes and may be the odd ridding horse or jumping class. she has just saved up some money 4 a jacket but we're not sure whether she should get a hacking jacket or a navy blue or a black one please help!!

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
I think I'm right in saying a hacking jacket would be the right thing to wear but if she wants to a bit of dressage or SJ, a Blue jacket might be better. I think (but I'm no expert) that at Unaff level then as long as it's smart it shouldn't matter?

Claireg9

Visit site
id say Navy for show jumping and ridden show classes, Tweed if your going to be hunting or doing WHP or SHP. So depends what you have in mind.
But like the others have said if you look smart it doesnt matter to much at local level.

horsegirl

Visit site
why avoid the black? My Mother has sent my daughter some money to buy a jacket (as she did well in her GCSEs) she will be doing some jumping at local shows, should she get navy then?

cornwallexracers

Visit site
Its all to do with correct turnout, its frowned upon to wear a black jacket when showing as its all about traditional turnout and black is associated with funerals, so you won't see it worn in many show rings. Not only that it makes you look very washed out! However, if your daughter is only intending on showjumping and not showing I'm sure it will be fine.

Chumsmum

Visit site
Don't know if it was beginners luck on ebay, but I had a lovely navy and a great quality tweed jacket off ebay - saved me ££££££s - cost me about £25 for both inc. delivery.

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
Hacking jacket as HH says - preferably greenish tweed. The only classes you can't do in a hacking jacket are hacks and show pony - neither of which sound right for a 16hh horse! Showing is more fussy than jumping, so the tweed will be fine for jumping and dressage as well. Black should not be worn for showing at all for ladies, apart from some people who wear black hunting gear at HOYS in an evening performance (although most still wear a very dark navy).