Need help with a how much!! health reasons!!mine!!a bit long

TequilaMist

Visit site
Have had a recent health scare,have recently been diagnosed with Cervical Myelitis which may or may not progress to MS(there are other things that could cause it).Now I am not panicking about it (yet) what will happen will happen etc.But I do like to have a plan of action something to focus on and like to be prepared..I don't want to give up horses totally but think it would be unwise to keep the moody mare(she who can be aggressive but does appear much better since Regumate 2 wks ago catch 22 can't do anything now) due to may have episodes (or not) of total numbness from neck down,can move but reactions are dead slow so think it would be unwise to risk injury unneseccarily(?sp).My theory is if I can sell said mare and get something a lot more reliable for my needs I could still keep my horse interest,not wanting to set the world on fire just a bit of fun and care.
Mare in question is a 16hh/16.1hh 9 yr old skewbald mare,ok markings on one side more white on other,conformation when riding fit not too bad,has been used in riding school for yr and was fine riden which is why they tolerated aggression.but would need a experienced handler.She hasn't been ridden for few months so would have to get someone to start again.So any suggestions appriciated .

TequilaMist

Visit site
No body any suggestions.Not wanting sympathy just advice and suggestions even if think I 'm maybe being unrealastic hoping to keep horse of sometype(first time I've come across this so maybe I am clutching at starws).Know mare would not be an easy sell but would be a nice type for somone with more confidence than I have at mo.

Ferdinase514

Visit site
What is she ike to ride and what has she done? Is her flat work any good
smile.gif

When you say she's moody what does she do? Finni's evil but fine once you're on
wink.gif

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
Sorry to hear about your recent nightmares!! As far as the neddies concerned, have a back up plan but I wouldnt give anything up just yet.

My sister (who is pretty young) was diagnosed with MS about a year ago, we thought she had the rapid one but following some steroid treatment and disease modifying drugs, she has really improved and her symptoms albiet apart from numb fingers have halted.

She was before this bed ridden and we really feared the worst. MS is a strange one, the most important thing you can do is eliminate ALL STRESS when your symptoms are at their worst. STRESS of any kind will make things worse.

If anything including having to fit everything in horses, work etc etc is stressing you out, then remove that element even temporarily so you can take a breather.

Hoping all goes well. I would think about giving yourself some time to deal with the news you have had by loaning out your horse or sharing??? That way you can concentrate on you and aim for less stress and improving your symptoms to a manageable level.

annaellie

Visit site
It depends how aggressive she is. I got one of my boys extra cheap because he was aggressive, but there are plenty of horses out there that lose no value because there a bit moody. Do you really need to sell her can you not put her on long term loan, but I do agree if she is a handfull a quiet one would be better for when you not feeling great

jemima

Visit site
TequilaMist - I know you're not asking for sympathy but you have my understanding on this! I have no idea what the mare's worth - sorry.

I do have a suggestion though. Had you thought of getting a pony that will ride and drive - or even just drive? It can be a huge laugh, we drive my daughter's first pony and she loves it and so do we. We have been asked if we will compete her(!) and although I've not looked into it I understand there's lots of classes/ fun things we could do. Our pony is too small for us to ride realistically but she could be shown in hand, being small she's ideal for my disabled husband to deal with - lots of fun anad amusement but if she tries to push him around he's able to cope.

I'd suggest, if you fancy it, trying to get the smallest animal that will still take you doing whatever you fancy in the ridden world but will also drive. The if / as your illness progresses you still have the horsey distractions and enjoyment - on good patches you can ride, on bad you can drive - or even be driven.

Hope this helps

Murphs_Mum

Visit site
Sorry not sure what's she is worth but my best friend who is 29 was diagnosed (after nearly a year of tests) with MS about a year ago. She has had three major attacks, two on her eyes and one on her thighs which left her with no sensation in her leg and her vision impaired. She is now on Beta Interferon and has improved remarkably. If you didn't know her you would have no idea she is ill at all. Stress truly does make it worse and brings on attacks so if you are worried about managing her then you should look at getting something quieter but don't give up!!

TequilaMist

Visit site
When I got her she was fine.I would have classed myself as not an overly confident rider (but stubborn so tend not to give up too easy) and I coped fine with her.Aggression intionally started in stable but was much better out of it you just had to be aware.She tended to bite you.Due to change of jobs and daughter was really into her competeing,yard I was on offered to take her for riding school as a stop gap for a bit.Wasn't the best place for her but theyt were very experienced with her and aware of her little quirk!!She apparently did well in school was told once tacked up and on back worked fine did beginners and a bit more advanced riders(university team things)a bit of in house jumping(allegedly up to at least one jump 1.20)Did have a nice photo on pooter of daughter jumping her but OH appears to have cleared it for some unknown reason.I would say after yr in riding school flat work is basic but when I first got her she was easy off leg if a bit green.

TequilaMist

Visit site
She can be quite aggressive bites don't mean a nip either but do think I've got into a catch 22 with her.I think she will so she does.Vet walked right up to her she was wary but fine so I don't think I help and with this recent developement don't think I realistcally can now.I took her back from school 3 months ago and to be honest was looking foreward to get back on.I think the thought of NOT getting on a horse is stressing me out even more than job etc(i can redeploy with local council limbs aren't great but brain aint totally addled yet!!)OH is being quite supportive-he gives her her regumate at moment as my legs aren't totally steady.I don't think loaning would work as unsure how good or bad this could go(doc was quite positive at mo)so thought I'd try a good old fashioned plod thats same in/out ridden or not(I do have daughter/friend that can keep a horse going for me if needed but sad that I am I really want to give this a realistric best shot doing it myself.

TequilaMist

Visit site
Driving did cross my mind but at the moment I must admit I just love that feeling when your up there on the horses back!All seems well with the world if you know what I mean.But if I deteriate further it may be something I would consider.

TequilaMist

Visit site
I would also like to thank those people for their replies as know it may be a subject people may feel uneasy about.So grateful thanks for the replies and support.

jemima

Visit site
Tequila - that's why I suggested a ride and drive! No need for a change of horse just a development of something you're already doing. I may be headed that way myself, my big boy apparently has driven and with his temperament he'll be a doddle to get back driving again - so from BE to driving horse in one easy step!

I'm not that keen on driving and would prefer to ride BUT I know that I enjoy competing and if I can't get out there and jump then I may just enjoy doing something daft with a carriage!

TequilaMist

Visit site
It is a thought.Don't think mare would work (mainly the handling issues) but do have a 21 yr old welsh cob who used to be a dab hand in a cart apparently!!So probably covered there too.Don't know what he'd say to it hes been
grin.gif
a big pet for last 5 yrs!!
grin.gif