Need help with Lemieux Half Pad sizing!

Twig

New User
Visit site
So I'm having a 16.5 inch saddle (on 16 inch panel) made for my mare's short back and I've been told to get a sheepskin half pad, but I'm not sure whether to get a small or medium Lemieux?

On some websites it says small is up to 16.5" but others say only 16", so I'm a bit confused. I really don't want it being far too big for the saddle, but then too small would be worse.

Has anyone used one of these with a 16.5" saddle?

Thanks in advance :)

Merlod

Visit site
I used the small on my 13.3 connie with a 16.5" saddle. I would say the lemieux come up big as I originally ordered the medium (as he normally wears cob size numnahs and pads) but it swamped him and I had to swap to the small!

Twig

New User
Visit site
Thanks Merlod! I spoke to a few of the stores selling the Lemieux's and they all thought medium, so I'm a bit stuck :( I really don't want it to be huge on her.
What kind of saddle did you have?

NiceNeverNaughty

Visit site
well i read the small was up to 17” which is what i have for my neat 17” saddle and it’s perfect. they come up huge imo

Merlod

Visit site
Thanks Merlod! I spoke to a few of the stores selling the Lemieux's and they all thought medium, so I'm a bit stuck :( I really don't want it to be huge on her.
What kind of saddle did you have?

It was a 16.5" L&R GP, pony has since retired and I actually sold the pad to a lady with a 17" saddle and told her if it was too small to bring it back but she said it was fine :) I think it will be fine length wise up to 17", the only problem you'd have is if your saddle is wide and the panels are very broad the pad might not have enough width across the back.

Twig

New User
Visit site
Thank you guys! You have been a great help :) I'm getting a wide saddle, so hopefully it won't be too wide for the small pad :/ The size charts are a bit misleading, with some saying the small is up to 16.5 or 17 inch and others saying up to 16 inch. Perhaps I'll just have to bite the bullet and hope for the best!
If there's anyone else out there who has used this pad with a 16.5 inch saddle, I wouldn't mind a little extra reassurance.

Fiona

Visit site
My TB mare has a medium one on her 16 inch JW jumping saddle. Its a great fir, and I'm sure 16.5 would be fine too :)

Fiona

Fiona

Visit site
No its a lovely fit, not too big at all. From memory, I had tried a large which was too big, and then ordered medium..

Fiona

hannahlow

Visit site
I have a 16.5 saddle and initially I brought the medium, I then sold that half pad and then needed to buy another, I then brought a small and the saddle was on the sheepskin, so I would defo go with the medium!:)