Need ideas for horsey Holiday/Work Experience

silly_billy

Visit site
My school runs this grant of £1750 that is open for two years to apply to go on a sort of holiday or experience..

My friend and I wanted to go somewhere in Europe to do something with horses, just not really sure what sort of thing would be available for us to do, or if anyone has any ideas for us..? we are more than willing to work hard, just need some starting points.

Thanks everyone, desperately need help!

zaminda

Visit site
I would say when you are old enough you should go travelling outside Europe too! I went to New Zealand which was great, and am now in Oz having spent more than 10 years in the UK in between.

legyield

Visit site
What sort of thing particularly interests you, horse wise?

In summer of 2010 I went to Barcelona and worked at an international dressage yard. The best thing I've ever done -- didn't muck out once, rode at least 6 times a week on very nice PRE horses (some up to PSG and GP level although I think the tiers of dressage do vary out there). The horses I rode were being produced for top level, although I'm by no means an amazing rider, and I'm aware one was sold and in training with Carl Hester. Just have to be prepared for the snobbery of some people! The man who owned the clothes shop Mango came to the yard as he has a stud in Barcelona, wasn't prepared for that one.

In summer 2011 I went to Ireland and worked at a stud/trekking centre/riding school/for an absolute idiot. The country itself was amazing but unfortunately didn't get on with my boss and left after a month. Having said that, if you find the right place, it's definitely worth doing. I learnt a lot.

In 2010 I was just turning 19 so not much older than you. I'm also from Yorkshire. However these were more paid work rather than just experiences, but no doubt it's still good to have some extra money to line your pocket as they don't necessarily pay a lot. I found the place in Barcelona on Yard & Groom :)