Need ideas on how to calm down a mare!

the watcher

Visit site
One of my mares has got really strong to handle now that her workload has reduced with the shorter days. she is fine to ride, in fact she is learning more every time she is ridden and that side of her is just brilliant..it is the handling side that has become quite dangerous.

If she was a stallion I would have her gelded but sadly that is not an option with the female variety! Last night I honestly thought she was going to kill me, rearing spinning, and galloping about the field in the dark at full speed - it was all I could do to stand still and hope that she could see me.

Riding everyday, which is what she needs, is not an option because I work and we have no floodlights, she is not overfed, she is already on magic calmer which has taken the edge off until now. She is just hungry and bolshy in the evenings because she knows her dinner is in the stable.

Any thoughts? Getting somebody else to bring her in a bit earlier is probably not an option (although it would be the obvious answer)

Sooty

Visit site
Was she in the field on her own? Toffee used to do this when she was on her own. Obviously wear hard hat and gloves when handling her! Have you tried leading her in and out in a chiffney? How old is she?

Vicki1986

Visit site
feed her out in the field before putting her to be din her stable? Then at least she isnt trying to kill you to get her feed as she's already had it?
just an idea probably not a good one
smile.gif

the watcher

Visit site
Vicki thanks, yes I thought I might try that tonight.

sooty, you are right, when I got there last night all the other horses had been put away apart from my three. Because of the layout of my stables, this mare has to come in last so she was beside herself when I walked up to get her (although she has been getting stronger even without this happening)
I don't see this situation improving so I have to find away of getting her safely from the field to the stable without being injured in the process..have never used or tried a chiffney..I am not sure that introducing pain to gain control is the way forward..I suspect she will just fight harder..she is already in NH knotted rope halter with no real effect

Vicki1986

Visit site
i know you have said getting someone else to get her in etc is not an easy option but perhaps it be worth trying to see if you can??
it sounds as though she is anxious about being the last one out.
my mare was the same when i was on diy she was left out last and would go bonkers when i arrived to get her in (altho she's only little so it didnt matter if she pulled and shuvved as much!)
she got diarohhea (sp) from the stress of knowing all the other horses were in eating there tea and she was still out til 6.30.
in the end i had to move yards as it wasnt fair, she is now on the same routine as all the other horses on the yard and is much more healthy and happy

Sooty

Visit site
Is there any way you can bring her in first or second, before this behaviour becomes a pattern? It is almost certainly hormonal, she will probably be fine one week and a raving loony the next! The other drawback with a chiffney is actually having to faff with a bridle and an excited horse - not ideal. Another trick is the carrot in the pocket one if all else fails! Try to keep her interested in some food item about your person, or even a bucket of feed as you lead her in. Is there anyone who can help you bring her in? It is fine leading a calm, well mannered horse, it is another matter when they are flying about like a half ton kite!

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Ditto what the others say but is it not possible to change her stable so she is the first in of yours? You could always swap them around when you have them all into the yard if absolutely necessary. You could also try a chain over the nose, that usually works a treat; no harm to them but you have that extra edge to control without hurting her mouth.

the watcher

Visit site
Vicki, I think I would have to pay somebody to pull all 3 in, they all have separation anxiety (had it before I ever got them)..the gelding will just jump out of the field (so has to come in first), the other mare will just barge out with whatever you are leading out (so has to come in second) and this last mare, who is 7, will just turn herself inside out if nothing else is in the fields

Sparklet

Visit site
Hi,

I bring my two mares in together - this may sound like a crazy suggestion if your two are a bit flighty but mine are much better behaved in a pair because neither is being left. Perhaps get someone to walk with you if you try it.

Sometimes the complete opposite to what you think you should do works.

I cant go with the idea of a chifney, chain over the nose etc because all you have is a frightened animal - not a naughty one.

riotgirl

Visit site
Blimey! Sounds like my girl! I've started putting her feed in the field and letting her eat it and then bringing her in. She is as meek as anything then. I did try and win the battle, but as you pointed out it gets dangerous especially when they gallop right up to you and slam the brakes on just before they hit you
shocked.gif

I think the problem is, as it is winter she associates my coming down in the dark with her being fed. In the summer I am in and out of the field 3/4 times of an evening so she is never really sure which one of those visits will result in her getting fed!

the watcher

Visit site
If the two mares are led in together, by separate people - no problem, if you try to lead both alone it is like having control of two wayward metal detectors. I do grab somebody on the yard if they are about to lead the quieter of the two and all is fine...if a bit speedy. Trouble is, as it get dark earlier, they will all have done and put away and left before i get there..although I did leave a note on the board last night appealing for anybody that can hang around to do so

Both mares hate the gelding and will try to attack him!

I am beating myself up a bit because we have spent ages on ground work with all of them, but come a dark windy evening and the prospect of a warm stable and dinner, it all goes out of the window.

will try dinner in the field and see if that does the trick! The pocket full of carrots last night didn't work...

BBs

Visit site
Oh gosh
frown.gif
does sound all rather traumatic for you all
frown.gif

If paying someone to bring all three in, isnt an option then, could someone not put some hay out for yours just to keep them that little bit more quiet, plus less hungry?
You could feed your mare before she comes in which would make life slightly easier if shes only being naughty due to being hungry.

Have you tried leading her in with a chiffney?
Is it not possible to lead all three in together? okay you might die lol I have 3 in a field I bring in one give him his food then go back and bring the other two together.

mandy4727

Visit site
I just bring 2 in. Mine comes in first cos she would go mad with being in the field on her own. So carrots in the pockets trick works. I throw a few carrots radomly round the field for the other horse that I am leaving out whilst I bring mine in as it is quite a walk. Mine is like a donkey coming down the path as she is leaving her buddy in the field. And luckily field buddy is busy looking for the carrots I left her. Go and get other horse and she does walk quickly. This weekend they were both brought in together - 2 handlers and they were a night mare prancing and pratting about. They have been in for 2 days this week cos of the wet and the weather so tomorrow should be fun. But I do go in my lunch hour to bring them both in so at least it is still light which makes it easier for me.

AtiraApps

Visit site
Try this !!!!!!!!
GOLD LABEL OESTRABAN 800G z/r
Contains a mimicking herb which can be fed to stallions or rigs to assist with handling problems. Can also be used to regulate hormone balance for working mares prone to mare-ish tendencies. May be beneficial to lactating mares - in which case it must be discontinued 4 weeks prior to the breeding season.
Price: £11.20

GTs

Visit site
I think it is ludicrous that you are so adamant that she can not be worked more, when you have openly admitted that is what she needs - that is the change that bought on this behavior. Why does everyone want instant solutions, and do not want to work for results.

The horse needs to be ridden more, either by you, by a friend, instructor, anyone really - it is harsh, but I think anything else is poor horsemanship.

the watcher

Visit site
I already have recruited a friend to share the riding, she is ridden four times a week, schooled on the flat and over jumps, or hacked out. The simple fact is we don't have floodlights, and can't do any more until the planning is sorted to get them...and being a poor person I have to work 8 hours a day, 5 days a week to pay for all this..with limited winter daylight it is the best that can be done. If I win the lottery it would all be different of course..maybe that is the quick fix I need!
tongue.gif

regalrendezvous

Visit site
If it is just a feeding issue / wanting to come in ignore this!!!

But i find camomile works, a handful a day in the evening feed. It works REALLY well for mares and i also feed it to my gelding as he can be rather nervy and spooky and i find camomile works a treat for this.

voltaire

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The pocket full of carrots last night didn't work

[/ QUOTE ] that's a bugger. I was going to suggest that. No idea how you'd get a chifney on if she's that bad when you go to get her. But your safety really has to come first.

Now this may sound a bit of a rubbish idea (so really....just ignore it, insomnia is making me stupider than usual) but what about a few join-up sessions with her? Just to see if you can improve things on the ground.

(btw - the feeding before bringing in sounds like a good idea to me too).