Need reassurance - New kitten...

GlamourDol

Visit site
I know this should be in the Pet box, but i really need people to see it.

We got a new kitten last night. Kitten is a 8 weeks old and a boy. We already have one cat, a 2 year old queen that was imported from Morocco and is feisty. Introduced slowly and as expected lots of hissing and claws flying. Had to step in as Luli was not backing off and I was getting concerned. She has attacked me and my O/h a few times today which in itself is not unusual but this was done with real aggression. Obviously we expect it to take a while, but I'm worrying now that Luli will not accept him and will be miserable or even worse move out.

Have I made a mistake?

HELP!

ETA: Quite clearly not a video. Don't know why it did that!

Last edited:

EllenJay

Visit site
No you haven't made a mistake. My old cat had a really hissy fit and was in a strop for about 6 months when I got a puppy. She actually attacked me - drawing blood. OH thought I had been in a road accident. 6 months on cat and dog were curled up together in the same bed.

Give her time - don't force the kitten on to her - they will sort it out

cloverleaf1985

Visit site
I'd suggest putting kitten in a seperate room for a week or so. In the meantime, each day swap their bedding over, stroke the kitten then go and stroke her etc so that she gets used to his scent before being faced with him again.
It's a lot for the older cat to take in, but with patience she'll get there :) also, piccies please!

GlamourDol

Visit site
I'd suggest putting kitten in a seperate room for a week or so. In the meantime, each day swap their bedding over, stroke the kitten then go and stroke her etc so that she gets used to his scent before being faced with him again.
It's a lot for the older cat to take in, but with patience she'll get there :) also, piccies please!

Kitten sleeping in spare room and will be in there whilst at work bring him downstairs whilst we're here although he goes back for food and to give luli some time with us. We're open plan downstairs otherwise id keep him in a room full time. I've left the box he came in, out, so she can keep sniffing.
This is so stressful.
Pics will follow, hes fairly ugly, but so cute. :D