Need some advice please

nomini

Visit site
I have had my mare now for about 4 months and are getting on really well. However, I am having real trouble jumping her at shows. At home and in the warm up ring she jumps really nicely and never runs out or stops. However, when I get in the ring I always seem to be eliminated for run outs! I have had a couple of successful rounds on her but it seems that for every good round I have 2 or more bad rounds. it's probably my riding as much as anything but is there anything I can do at home to try and solve this issue. I am going to try and take her out every couple of weeks for a while so we don't have a long gap in between each show. I have hired the course at my local centre for the next available course hire day as well but this isn't till the 5th dec. It always seems to be doubles and fillers that we get eliminated at, which she is fine with at home. Has anyone else had the same problems? It's starting to really get me down
frown.gif
any help or advice would be really appreciated
smile.gif

Weezy

Visit site
I think you need to look at yourself and your accuracy before anything else - so many people forget to ride THROUGH a double and the jump in is as important as the jump out! As for fillers again it could be that you are backing off and allowing the horse to get away from you

Ensure that you are looking beyond every jump you tackle - you should be looking ofr the next jump as you are jumping the one you are - FEEL the course and the rhythm

Any chance you can get someone to video you going round?

Vicky7041

Visit site
I was going to suggest that you take someone experienced with you, and or video so you can watch yourself. I would hire out schools whenever you can so you can really ride through various courses and jumps, that way you'll build your confidence together.
Keep the height within your comfort zone, if you cant get it right at 85cms then theres no point going any bigger.

nomini

Visit site
Thanks for your help, my dad always videos me when I go round. My instructor came and watched to help me last time and me and Alisha jumped fine, but that gets quite expensive asking her to come everytime. I will def stick to a height I am comfortable with, today was only 80cm which she can jump in her sleep! Am going to practice doubles and fillers at home, so that when I go out to a show even if she is worried I won't be so I can get her over them!!