Need some advice, proper dilemma. :(

Archina

Visit site
Ive taken a job at a kennels which does boarding and gun dog/basic obedience training. Had about 5 days working there last month which was a trial and started there full time last Mon.

The owner of the kennels is a really nice guy, dogs are well fed and looked after but today I had to really try and keep my mouth shut. I was out walking one of the boarding dogs and coming back up to the kennels when the owner (lets call him Brian) was walking down with a GSD that is in for basic obedience, lovely dog though easily distracted. Anyway said dog was more interested in me and the dog i was walking so wasnt staying to heel, next thing i know Brian boots it in the ribs cause its not staying to heal and the poor dog whimpers pretty loudly and cowers. I was so upset and just walked straight back to the kennels. I know if i see this happening again I wont be able to stay quiet. Its not the only incident ive seen but it is the worst case. On another cpl of occasions ive the other girl who worked for him (i took her job as she is off to Aus for 6 months) hit the same dog and another one with the plastic heavy end of the extendable lead.

I dont know what to do, I am seriously short of cash and really need the job but i cant work there and see this happening on a daily basis and ignore it.
Can anyone give me some advice? :(

katiesdolphin

Visit site
Ooh tuff one! Well the owner will probibly tell you to mind your own if you say anything to him! As long as your nice to the dogs atleast they get a bit of love and comfort and your helping them! Its horrible when people are like that to animals its worst when they're not even his (I don't condone it either way) there really is nothing you can do apart from comfort them yourself! If he does start mistreating them on a constant basis you could video him and report him but it would have to be pretty extreme to do so, just follow your heart and good luck!

111ex111

Visit site
I would ring the RSPCA or whoever deals with that sort of thing anonymously, explain what happened etc in the mean time look for a new job and see what happens from there.

Because its other peoples dogs they may take it a bit more seriously- as people are sending their dogs there for care not abuse.

Archina

Visit site
Look for another job, pdq. Are the kennels licensed by the council?

Yea, I am gonna have too. I am not too sure, how would i be able to find out?

Ooh tuff one! Well the owner will probibly tell you to mind your own if you say anything to him! As long as your nice to the dogs atleast they get a bit of love and comfort and your helping them! Its horrible when people are like that to animals its worst when they're not even his (I don't condone it either way) there really is nothing you can do apart from comfort them yourself! If he does start mistreating them on a constant basis you could video him and report him but it would have to be pretty extreme to do so, just follow your heart and good luck!

Your probably right but before I leave I will be having a conversation with him about it but doubt it will be a happy ending. I know, i spent 15 mins with the GSD after he was back in the kennels, poor dog, hes just a big exuberant puppy really.

There really isnt any excuse. :(

Archina

Visit site
I would ring the RSPCA or whoever deals with that sort of thing anonymously, explain what happened etc in the mean time look for a new job and see what happens from there.

Because its other peoples dogs they may take it a bit more seriously- as people are sending their dogs there for care not abuse.

Your last 2 lines sums it up. I cant believe for a second that the GSD's owners would be happy with that sort of training. I know I would never send my dogs there for training.

Might ring up the SSPCA and see what they say.

Thanks for your responses guys! xx

Gingersmum

Visit site
Thing is would he know that only you could have seen the abuse ? If the RSPCA/Council turn up he will know there are limited people who could have seen him kicking the dog.
Maybe they could word it as a complaint from a previous customer, they must know how to handle this.
I don't see why you should have to lose paid employment because of this - but it must be stopped

Spiritedly

Visit site
Do you know who owns the German shepherd? I have one and if I sent her to someone,for training and they were booting her I'd want to know and I would be extremely annoyed if I found out that staff members knew and did nothing. His treatment of the dogs in his care could contribute to them reacting negatively to something when they return home and end up doing someone serious injury and having to be destroyed.
The quote 'The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing' springs to mind. So please report him and find another job!

Archina

Visit site
Thing is would he know that only you could have seen the abuse ? If the RSPCA/Council turn up he will know there are limited people who could have seen him kicking the dog.
Maybe they could word it as a complaint from a previous customer, they must know how to handle this.
I don't see why you should have to lose paid employment because of this - but it must be stopped

This is my worry, the kennels is hidden away so its not obvious to any passer's by etc and I am the only person that works there now. Ive phoned them up anyway and they are going to send an inspector out but I doubt this will help. She said she will put a note on her system to make it look like an owner has called up to take any suspicion away from me.

Its going to be obvious its me though and am now feeling quite anxious. Least I have the weekend as a reprieve and to think a bit more as he is away to a dog trials.

Archina

Visit site
Do you know who owns the German shepherd? I have one and if I sent her to someone,for training and they were booting her I'd want to know and I would be extremely annoyed if I found out that staff members knew and did nothing. His treatment of the dogs in his care could contribute to them reacting negatively to something when they return home and end up doing someone serious injury and having to be destroyed.
The quote 'The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing' springs to mind. So please report him and find another job!

Dont worry, I am certainly not doing 'nothing' :) The GSD can be a bit nippy when excited so I am also worried this could have a very bad affect on the dogs psyche.

ladyt25

Visit site
Well, done for doing something - it's not easy in these situations at all. Such a shame as well that the girl who you're replacing possibly picked up this sort of treatment from the guy who runs the place. I have to admit I did slap my dog's bottom the other morning as she was being a bit of a pig and ignoring what I was asking (stopping her barking at and pulling towards another dog). I know it wasn't right although it wasn't a hard slap, just enough for her to break her concentration! I woudn't dream of kicking a dog though and especially not someone else's. That's disgraceful that people are paying for their dogs to be beaten!

Mind you, you see a lot of these animal abuse and neglect cases and so many seem to be people who are respected in the dog/horse world (ie breeders, judges etc), it's quite worrying that people at the top of their professions seem to be exposed as abusers. :(

Archina

Visit site
Well, done for doing something - it's not easy in these situations at all. Such a shame as well that the girl who you're replacing possibly picked up this sort of treatment from the guy who runs the place. I have to admit I did slap my dog's bottom the other morning as she was being a bit of a pig and ignoring what I was asking (stopping her barking at and pulling towards another dog). I know it wasn't right although it wasn't a hard slap, just enough for her to break her concentration! I woudn't dream of kicking a dog though and especially not someone else's. That's disgraceful that people are paying for their dogs to be beaten!

Mind you, you see a lot of these animal abuse and neglect cases and so many seem to be people who are respected in the dog/horse world (ie breeders, judges etc), it's quite worrying that people at the top of their professions seem to be exposed as abusers. :(

Yea! I am thinking she must have learned that type of behaviour from him as she is only 21 and worked there for 2 years. :( If my dogs are on a lead and not listening to me then i will give them a touch with my foot on there backside to get there attention or if they have been bad they get a small slap on the bum but i would never kick one of my dogs full force anywhere on their body especially there ribs/abdomen! :mad: The way he yanks them back with the choke chain makes me cringe aswell. I dont think he sets out to be deliberately cruel but its the way he was taught to train dogs over 20yrs ago at a time when that sort of archaic training was the norm.

Spoke to a friend about it later and he said 'if that was one of your dogs and you had seen him do that you would off kicked the s**t out of him' - which is totally true, someone would need to hold me back because all i would see is red. I am quitting on monday.

111ex111

Visit site
well done for doing something, many people would have just turned a blind eye! Its sad you feel like you have to quit your job but im sure its making you upset and I would have done exactly the same thing!

kirstie

Visit site
A quick kick in the ribs is sometimes used by trainers to get a dogs attention. Has anyone ever seen any of Ceser Milians programmes?
I'm not saying it is the right way but it is used.
If he full on booted the dog, then that is another matter...

Mongoose11

Visit site
I could not stand by and watch that happen. I would stay to see if it is a fairly consistent response and then I would be tempted to report and go to the local press. I would hae no qualms with this guy ending up with his career in tatters if this is how he treats dogs.

Archina

Visit site
well done for doing something, many people would have just turned a blind eye! Its sad you feel like you have to quit your job but im sure its making you upset and I would have done exactly the same thing!

Thankyou :eek: I think quitting is the only option really, once I have a talk with him its going to be very obvious the SSPCA call was from me and I really doubt he will change his training methods after a quick word from me! I will more than likely get my marching orders half way through that convo! lol It has really upset me though.

A quick kick in the ribs is sometimes used by trainers to get a dogs attention. Has anyone ever seen any of Ceser Milians programmes?
I'm not saying it is the right way but it is used.
If he full on booted the dog, then that is another matter...

Ive never seen Ceser Milian kick a dog, I have seen him nudge/poke them with his foot. This is not what he did though and it wasnt an accident, he properly kicked the dog hard and it whimpered quite a bit from it. :(

Mongoose11

Visit site
Kirstie, I think you may be referring to Milan's use of 'tap with foot'. You take your foot back behind your own body, round the back of your other leg and tap the dogs behind or leg with your foot. The idea is the dog is suprised by it so it breaks a fixation or the behaviour being displayed at the time. Hardly a kick in the ribs. In fact very clearly NOT a kick and NOT in the ribs (unless your legs are very bendy!).

Kellys Heroes

Visit site
I obviously don't know your situation but if it was me, no doubt about it I'd get out of there asap, look for another job, get onto the RSPCA, the council, dog warden, whoever the hell would listen and wouldn't give a damn if he knew who'd reported him or not - hell, I'd even go with the officers and point out exactly which dogs involved with the abuse I'd witnessed! Well done for planning on taking action.

There's no excuses for his behaviour. I rehomed a lovely GSD who's been kicked repeatedly and it certainly has had its effects on my poor girl. This really is a huge, huge bugbear of mine - there's not enough people about like you who are brave enough to report it!!!
K x

Last edited:

Archina

Visit site
Kirstie, I think you may be referring to Milan's use of 'tap with foot'. You take your foot back behind your own body, round the back of your other leg and tap the dogs behind or leg with your foot. The idea is the dog is suprised by it so it breaks a fixation or the behaviour being displayed at the time. Hardly a kick in the ribs. In fact very clearly NOT a kick and NOT in the ribs (unless your legs are very bendy!).

Yep ^^^^ that i have no problem with and I really like CM. :)

You have to ask, if this is what he does in front of someone, what does he do when no one is about? :(

This worries me :(

I obviously don't know your situation but if it was me, no doubt about it I'd get out of there asap, look for another job, get onto the RSPCA, the council, dog warden, whoever the hell would listen and wouldn't give a damn if he knew who'd reported him or not - hell, I'd even go with the officers and point out exactly which dogs involved with the abuse I'd witnessed! Well done for planning on taking action.

There's no excuses for his behaviour. I rehomed a lovely GSD who's been kicked repeatedly and it certainly has had its effects on my poor girl. This really is a huge, huge bugbear of mine - there's not enough people about like you who are brave enough to report it!!!
K x

I totally agree with you and if it was my dog then I would want him shut down and the whole book thrown at him. Its just a really difficult situation as he goes stalking in the woods next me, knows where i live, knows people that i know etc etc. His place is only 15 mins down the road from me, makes for an awkward situation :/ I cant just idle by and let it carry on either though, wish I had never taken the job in the first place! :(

Holly Hocks

Visit site
If I saw someone kick my dog I would tear them to shreds and I would want to know it was happening (although I would never send a dog of mine away for training).
It's no different from someone sending a horse away for schooling and being told that the "professional" doing the schooling was battering the horse - let's face it you'd want to know and you'd want everyone to know not to send their horses there.....it's your call. Although tbh I think I would rather know that I had another job first. Good luck in finding some other employment.