Need some advice with napping/excitable pony.

equibabe20

Visit site
Right my pony is nappy at shows, did our first dressage test yesterday at the show at home and in the warm up he was a nightmare. He was strong, excitable and continually trying to nap to the gate or any 'friend' he thought he saw. Then when we went in the ring he tried to nap out of the arena! He's also like this showjumping or XC it gets to the point where he has to be led into the ring because he just goes backwards. Even going round a course he naps back to the gate.
He's not like this at home, I share jumping lessons with a friend and he's more than happy to leave the other horse then, and out hacking he's fine he'll go on his own. I think some of it may be he gets nervous?? He also gets very excited so the whole situation ends up worse
frown.gif
Any help with overcoming this problem would be very much appreciated X

airedale

Visit site
equine america magnesium calming paste in a syringe - just keep for the shows - you need to give it about 1.5 hours before the show and if he's that bad (like one of mine - who is a nutty chestnut - brilliant at home but just gets ring nerves - not nappy - but tanks and half rears and spins and can run backwards when she gets too much adrenalin and is hanging around doing nothing )

the calmer has been brilliant - just takes the edge off her nerves and she is then fine if fast

in her comfort zone she is fine
nerves at shows - she's not as bad as yours by half - no napping - but she has endless stamina - I used to take 2 hrs to work her in for a dressage class - worked - she did very well - but in a white lather !

jumpthemoon

Visit site
Try going to some small local shows and not actually entering any classes. Just have a ride round and try to keep him calm. You will be less stressed if you aren't entering anything and the pony can have a good look round without being under pressure

mickey

Visit site
Agree with jumpthemoon. You need to expose him to quite a few show situations so that he gets over the initial excitement....And preferably to start with take him to events where you wont be under the pressure of competition (you are just there as a spectator/training exercise). If he is winding you up your frustration/nerves may well be feeding back to him. Hopefully with repeated exposure he will settle.

Suggest looking at his feed content and also putting him on a regular calming powder supplement.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I'm glad you've posted this as I was going to post something similar. My Welsh D is v nappy at shows, but only jumping shows.

He can be a pain to hack out, but mostly is ok, just sharp/spooky. During lessons at the yard he is learning to concentrate (and I'm learning to keep his attention) but given half a chance he will yell his head off if another horse walks past. Generally he's fine at dressage comps, just gets on with it and does his job. Is also ok at SJing shows, can be a bit silly in the warm up (he doesn't like other horses jumping where he can't see them/behind him). My problem seems to be XC.....alone he can be really nappy for the first few jumps, then usually settles. We did a pairs class last weekend and for the first 4 jumps, he couldnt have cared less what our pair was doing, just that he was having to leave "home". Once we're away from home he's fine.

i've had this horse more than 3 years now, he's done loads of things so in his case it certainly isn't lack of experience. Generally, you name it we've had a go...XC, HT, DR, SJ, fun rides, hunting, group lessons, individual lessons, showing, etc. I've tried that Equine America calmer but it totally knocks him out!! I gave him a third of the recommended amount the last time I used it and all he wanted to do was sleep.

Would be really interested to hear if anyone has any suggestions for curing/dealing with nappiness? As I say, in my case the horse is 11 and has plenty of experience. just can't seem to cope with having to leave others in the collecting ring.

equibabe20

Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions. I will try the idea of just 'spectating' at shows as we have loads aheld at his yard anyway so thats easy enough.
I've tried nearly all the calmers available and none seem to work, also his feed is literally just fibre based as he is laminitic so he gets dengie lite, speedi beet and pony nuts. X