Need some hair extensions...stupid sheep!

LibbyL

Visit site
I have quite a problem that I am hoping somebody has experienced or can help me with.

Yard owner's and my horse were out in the field with three rams overnight, in the morning we went down to find the rams have eaten YO'S horses tail, as short as the bone in it, making it look like he has been docked.
We moved the rams straight away so they are no longer an issue, but unfortunately the damage has been done.

However horse gets EXTREMELY irritated by flies and as a Welsh D has always been able to rely on his beautiful thick tail to flick them away but now won't be able to do this. We will cover him lots with fly spray but he hates sprays so this is a time consuming process in itself.

We are not concerned about the looks but he is really going to suffer with the flies so has anybody had any success with permanent tail extensions (do these exist?!) or anything similar?

He is only a happy hacker so doesn't need to be pretty, just functional!

YO doesn't really use the internet so has tasked me with finding an answer, but so far I am stuck!

It's a big ask but we also want them to be as low maintenance as possible, not needing to be re-adjusted every day etc.

If anyone has any ideas I would be eternally grateful!

be positive

Visit site
It is a shame but will grow back in time, for this summer I would just get a really good fly rug for him and he will be fine, a tail extension would be ok for short term to use for a show but I would not think it will work all summer and may prove more expensive and troublesome than popping a rug on him.

Mrs G

Visit site
My horse also gets very, very upset by flies. A good fly rug is a necessity and I'm afraid when they are really bad he stays in.

emm1s

Visit site
You certainly can get extensions/false tails - there is one called horsehairextensions that I've seen on Facebook, though not used personally. I think you need some hair to attach it to - does he have any left at all?

gunnergundog

Visit site
You certainly can get extensions/false tails - there is one called horsehairextensions that I've seen on Facebook, though not used personally. I think you need some hair to attach it to - does he have any left at all?

As above - showing people often use (or used to use in my time) false tails. Not my area of expertise, I'm afraid, but google throws up quite a few options.

LibbyL

Visit site
He's never worn a rug before and is a very sweaty horse too (bit of a nightmare tbh ;) ) so his owner isn't hugely keen on that idea, but will if it is whats needed to be done.
Yes he has hair but really does look like its just been cut straight across just underneath the bone.
I have found one called W R Tails which looks decent.
The other reason a rug wouldn't be ideal because it is mainly out riding that he is the worst.
Can't believe the rams did the damage in one night!
Beyond grateful it wasn't my horse because we do compete!

alainax

Visit site
I've seen pics of it done in the states with baler twine.

resampled_2012-08-13_10-04-27_586.jpg

Flora

Visit site
I have made extensions for a mane before but not a tail. Years ago, we had a showing class to go to but our horses rug had rubbed a patch away on his mane. I chopped a bit off my old ponies tail as it was same colour and her tail was really bushy, and made plaits and sewed them on!. Dont know if you could do something similar with a tail.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I have no useful suggestions to add other than a fly rug and good fly repellent. I would just like to say please be very careful attaching anything around the dock else you could make the situation worse, it's a very delicate area and there have been horror stories of lost tails through too tight bandaging or tail guards.