Need some help on lungeing?????????

Elmere

Visit site
Please could i get some tips on lungeing, i've got to be able to lunge my 2 yr old colt but i try slowly teaching him with a calm voice and everything on a small circle but i have to have the whip as he just stands there looking at me otherwise and i lightly tap him and he'll be fine one minute walking around but then he'll start trotting and i'l ask him to walk but he just gets faster and faster and then finally ends up running off with me and even with a bit in i still can't hold him, he's got a bigger neck than a fully mature horse, please can anyone help me, he just gets wound up dead easily, i think he's actually scared of the whip in my hand but at the same time he no's he can get away so takes the p**s???????????

threeponies

Visit site
Do you have any jumps you can use to make a kind of enclosure with? This gives you a smaller area to work in and should discourage him with tanking off.

Elmere

Visit site
I could try but i just see him either jumping or goig through them
shocked.gif

Bert&Maud

Visit site
Sounds like you really need some help, if you can get someone to walk by his head (on the outside), to start off with they might need to have a leadrope attached, so that they can stop him, and they will also need to be able to do short periods of trotting with him. You just need them to help to reinforce your commands, they mustn't be giving him any commands themselves. Also, you say that you are working him on a small circle, which might be too small for a two year old, he's probably finding it quite difficult.

Elmere

Visit site
Thanks yes i will try that, the only reason i'm lungeing on a small circle is because on a larger one he's harder to get going and so i have to hit him with the whip to reach and well off he goes...

Agent XXX999

Visit site
I really dont think that lunging a 2yo is a great idea....have you tried long reigning? Is their really any need to be doing anything?

viola

aspireequestrian.wordpress.com
As posted above, 2 yrs old - that's a little too young for small circles and lunging anyway...if additionally, he runs away as described you are probably damaging his mouth and he may never be able to accept a bit properly in the future.
If you REALLY HAVE to lunge him maybe use a cavesson (no bit) and a helper who will walk the horse holding him on the outside to teach him to stay on the circle.
I would however reccomend that you do not school him until he is 3 or even older (depending on the breed). Long reining for 15 minutes from time to time would be a much better choice.
Good luck with your colt!

Elmere

Visit site
I wouldn't lunge if i didn't have to, i don't want to be doing anything with him at the moment as he's such a little s**t but he has his stallion inspection in February and we had one last February and he needs to be lunged to check his breathing and other things but the vet couldn't examine him properly as he just ran off with me, i only used a bit on that occasion to try and add a little more control but i don't now although i would when i came to the time again, all i was stating is that even in a bit i still can't hold him and it unfortunatly needs to be done which is a silly thing to ask of a youngster but i don't make the rules
shocked.gif

Also he's been shown so he knows the basic commands just goes silly and doesn't listen to me
confused.gif

samerlin

Visit site
try lunging withtwo reins similar to long reining but with the outside coming round his back quarters then back to the centre of the circle. you have a lot more control and can keep on a circle with the outside rein.

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
I am afraid that I think 2 is too young to be lunged on a small circle. Why do you want to do this at this stage? Believe me you will not be doing him any favours. I know horses destined for the race track are started sometimes as yearlings but you risk putting strain on his young joints. If you have to then I suggest you get a helper to walk with him until he gets the idea of going forward from your voice. Keep the sessions short as it will be tire him, it is hard work for a horse to work on a circle this small no matter what age they are.

Bossanova

Visit site
Certainly dont lunge him off the bit- do you have a stallion cavesson? Can be very effective if you can get one.
Ask someone to walk with him for a week or so, they walk on the outside of the circle and help to show him the process. I would be exceptionally careful with how much you do with him. Maybe gelding him or asking someone stronger to do the initial work with him may be an option....