Need some help with decision

Becky101

Visit site
Found a lovely horse, tb x hanoverian 12yr gelding. Has been used in a college over the summer as owner gave up on keeping him fit,and so has done a bit of everything and is basically everything i want. Having looked at many horses and never found one quite right was ecstatic. Until the vetting. Vet found what could be small sarcoids on his chest, but couldnt be sure. Also feet were not in brill condition (not a great farrier), and slightly wide and flat, tho vet did say he thought this could probably be solved or atleast improved through diet and better shoeing. Stopped the vetting at this point but am now regretting it as feel i have missed a lovely horse. I am not wanting to do any thing high level, just rc and local shows. However have lost money on previous bad purchase and dont want to hav lots of very expensive problems and vets bills. What do others think? Pleases i really do need help with this decision! Thanks. x x x

not_with_it

Visit site
They are both things that could be put right if you are prepared to be patient and pay out. The sarcoids can be removed if they are a problem but this would be another vets bill, like you said the feet can be improved with good shoeing.
If he is sound and will do the things you are wanting to do and you are prepared to accept his flaws then why not take the chance. Buying any horse is a gamble.

Becky101

Visit site
Well thats what i am thinking, the sarcoids are only tiny at the moment, the owner even picked one of the suspected sarcoids off and it turned out to be a scab! wasnt keen on the vet really either, he seemed a bit strange. Hmmmm ... decisions!

lizstuguinness

Visit site
depending on your budget, go to a dealer. you can then see many horses at the same time and most will come with a trial. mine mare came with 60 days.
at the end of the trial you then get the horse vetted, thus ensuring that you only spend money on a horse thats deffinatly THE one. if you decided that they are not the right horse take it back and get anther one....simple

i personaly can recommend european soprts horses tel: 07768 510963. prices start at 2,000 so they dont just deal in expensive competition horses.

siennamiller

Visit site
my horse had sarcoids and he was 1 month off being put down as he could not walk(it was on the inside of his hind fetlock)
luckily, by some miracle it came off and so far has not regrown but I would never knowingly take on a horse with sarcoids. During all the research I did about my boy I heard of so many horses that had to be put down because of them
frown.gif
frown.gif

bellgave

Visit site
If you realy think this horse was THE ONE then go for it. It doesnt sound like you are going to be competing at a high level, and if the horse ticks all your other boxes then go for it. Ask the seller for a price reduction, as he has failed the vet, put this money towards getting sarcoids sorted and find a good farrier.
I rarely get horses vetted, I had one done a few years ago and he turned out to be the most sickly and ill horse of the lot!!!! Also bought from a reputable show horse dealer who is good friends with the vet, he doesnt even get them out to look at them!!!
It sounds like it would be a shame to miss a good horse who you have searched for long and hard, use it to your advantage and get a good deal. I bought a coloured horse who had failed the vet due to possible OCD in his hocks he was previously advertised at 9.000 I bought him for 3.000 did alot of reasearch and found some herbal remedies that halted any further degeneration and horse has never had a sick or sorry day in his life, and is still competing to a high level.
Weigh up the pros and cons and follow your gut instinct!!!

LauraBR

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Weigh up the pros and cons and follow your gut instinct!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be my advice too TBH. I'm in a very similar situation and having sought all number of opinions on the matter I think I am going to take the chance...

Only YOU can decide whether the horse is worth the risk. But as others have said, no horse is guaranteed.

Good luck with whatever you decide! xx