Need some help with delinquent dog please!!

Bri

Visit site
Have never posted in here before so please be nice
grin.gif

I was hoping for some advice or ideas on what to do with delinquent puppy who keeps running away. We have a 1 year old JRT and a 6 month old Lab, both bitches and best of friends. When we first had JR had real trouble with her just making a run for it (ie- when opening the front door she'd go through your legs and sod off up the street) but have worked quite hard to remedy this and she has greatly improved.

However, the lab has taken to doing the same thing when out on walks. Most of the time she is as good as gold, and will always come back when called - but on occasion she will just run and run. If you try calling her it's like she cannot hear you, and we can only get hold of her once she slows down. The JRT has now taken to following her whenever she does this and wont come back to call either.

The problem we have is lab is completely inconsistent with when she will or wont come back to call, and am now getting to the point where I don't want to let her off lead, but fear if she is constantly on the lead if or when she gets let off of it the first thing she will do is run?

Is there anything I can do? Would be nice to be able to have them both off the leads up at the yard, but she is a complete liability at the moment and am worried she is likely to get herself killed...
confused.gif

soloabe

Visit site
You need to really work on the re call with both.

Keep them on long lines and use a treat they don't normally get, some chicken or something nice.
Make sure you don't feed them before you go on a walk.

Have the long line trailing on the floor and call them back. If they don't come step on the line and when they do come back make sure you make a big fuss and treat them.

Bri

Visit site
Thanks for the reply Katielou.

Have done lots of work on recall, and they will always come back at home, in the park etc. The problem mostly seems to be with coming off the lead for the first time in new places, the lab in particular just seems to lose all listening ability! The JR will turn when you call and go to come back, but because the lab has buggered off - she will then follow her! JR is fine on her own - would walking them separately help?

soloabe

Visit site
Yes walking them separately may very well help.

When i had 2 here i would walk them half the time together and half the time by themselves. Gives you a chance to do a bit more 1 on 1 training as well.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
As Katielou, that method worked for me. And do not do it on a full stomach, make them work for their food, all food comes from you.

Keep everything very animated and fun, be someone that your dogs want to come back to...practise lots at home with a different command to that that you have been using before, like instead of come, 'here' or 'puppies!' keep it high pitched and fun. You can also run in the other direction, hide etc.

If you have an OH or a mate, you can also call the two between you with one holding by the collar until they are totally straining to let go, you call, run away, act like an eejit, when they are released and they get to you, lots of praise and fuss.

If you are in a new place, keep them on the lead the first few times. I keep mine on unless I can see around the corner or there is a big fence around the area, and no livestock or other people and dogs approaching - expect the unexpected!