Need to sell horse - advice please

hairycob

Visit site
Bit of a bombshell yesterday. My son got made redundant, completely out of the blue. He was planning to move to Nottingham later this year to be with his girlfriend and he can't afford to keep his horse without me helping him out so we knew we would have to sell him later in the summer. No point in him looking for a job locally now so everything has been brought forward a few months.
He a nice RC type so where would be the best place to advertise?

Abacus

Visit site
Sorry about your son's work situation. But it's a good time of year to sell. Are you in touch with the local PC and RC? Their websites are usually good places to advertise a really good all rounder, RC if he's too big to be a PC sort. Obviously these days everyone seems to advertise on Facebook - I have no idea how much success - but at least it's free and you can advertise in local groups. Good luck.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I'm sorry about your son's redundancy, what a blow.

I'm not an expert on horse sales, but if you advertise your son's horse on H&H, you can place a link to the ad in your forum signature, so helpful forumites can assist with spreading the word about him. There is always a good market for nice RC types, so hopefully you should find him a good new home fairly quickly.

hairycob

Visit site
Thanks. We are both members of local RC & YO instructs various PCs locally so that will probably help. A couple of people at the yard are very good at ads so I am going to draft something over the weekend & get them to critique it. Probably more of an adult horse than PC but he has been ridden by a 14yo on the yard when son was on holiday so may suit a confident teen. I'm gutted I was hoping I had another 3 months to win the lottery and be able to keep him. Have never sold a horse before but have seen plenty of horror stories.
In the mean time we are off to a hunter trial at Swalcliffe Sunday, hopefully he will do well as horse & son both love xc best.

applecart14

Visit site
How about the local riding clubs notice board and the notice board at the local feed merchants?
You could also try bargain pages and your local paper.

Sorry to hear your son's news, a lot of it about at the moment.

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
For all the stories of nightmare sales and iffy owners, there are loads of people like us on the forum who want to give our horse a good home - try not to panic.

Don't forget to tell people like your farrier that he's for sale, they can often be useful contacts.

Annagain

Visit site
Thanks. We are both members of local RC & YO instructs various PCs locally so that will probably help. A couple of people at the yard are very good at ads so I am going to draft something over the weekend & get them to critique it. Probably more of an adult horse than PC but he has been ridden by a 14yo on the yard when son was on holiday so may suit a confident teen. I'm gutted I was hoping I had another 3 months to win the lottery and be able to keep him. Have never sold a horse before but have seen plenty of horror stories.
In the mean time we are off to a hunter trial at Swalcliffe Sunday, hopefully he will do well as horse & son both love xc best.

Speak to the organisers and ask if the commentator could announce he is for sale. If he enjoys XC as much as you say he does it would be a great advert for him. You can also put a ribbon in his tail to let people know he's for sale. I forget which colour though, maybe white?

hairycob

Visit site
White ribbon purchased. Trying to draft the ad. God I hate this. My son asked me who I was going to miss most, him or Clive. Well, Clive can hardly Skype can he, so it's obvious.

Luci07

Visit site
I have pm'd you with the details of a new riding site/hub which offers free horse ads and is about to be marketed at all riding clubs. Not sticking the name on here as I don't want to get a slapped wrist!