Need to strengthen my inner thighs!

oldie48

Visit site
Been back to my trainer and after a bit of discussion with Rose I got her properly forward in canter and wow, she has a much bigger engine than I thought! I struggled initially to keep my seat in the saddle but once I managed to engage my inner thigh muscles I found it much easier to sit to her canter and gain control over the power and she felt fabulous. There is so much more to come with rose, she keeps surprising me. However, my poor thighs were aching like mad so I need to work on building them up. My core isn't too bad so it's specifically the inner thigh muscles that I need to work on. Any ideas suitable for an oldie with a number of injuries?

Roxylola

Visit site
Sumo squats (preferably with some weight even just a kettlebell)
Otherwise though if what you did has given you muscle soreness, more of the same will help

Sprat

Visit site
I have similar issues, my mare has a huge canter when she gets going and it is hard to keep my backside in the saddle. What has helped is increasing my hip mobility with stretches (along with standard leg strengthening exercises). I found I was too tight through my hips / pelvis and that was causing me to sort of perch on top of the saddle rather than sit deep into it.

There's all sorts on line that should help :)

oldie48

Visit site
I have similar issues, my mare has a huge canter when she gets going and it is hard to keep my backside in the saddle. What has helped is increasing my hip mobility with stretches (along with standard leg strengthening exercises). I found I was too tight through my hips / pelvis and that was causing me to sort of perch on top of the saddle rather than sit deep into it.

There's all sorts on line that should help :)
Ah well you may well have a point there, my hip mobility isn't great either although tbh I always thought my legs were quite strong despite being rather skinny! However, I fear I have lost some muscle mass as part of the ageing process.

Sprat

Visit site
Ah well you may well have a point there, my hip mobility isn't great either although tbh I always thought my legs were quite strong despite being rather skinny! However, I fear I have lost some muscle mass as part of the ageing process.

I think it depends what part of your leg is strong - my instructor was telling me that as riders we tend to have incredibly strong inner thighs, whereas actually we need to be strengthening the underside of our thighs, outside of our thighs, glutes and increasing hip mobility. Food for thought I suppose, but the hip exercises have definitely helped me so far!

oldie48

Visit site
Sumo squats (preferably with some weight even just a kettlebell)
Otherwise though if what you did has given you muscle soreness, more of the same will help
My first thought was "not good for my knees" which are pretty knackered but having looked it up I'll give it a go but not with a KB, might try a can of baked beans if it goes OK though! Thanks,

Trouper

Visit site
Get a pilates ring and look up some of the exercises for strengthening inner thighs. I find them easy to do lying flat which (after two spinal ops and a hip tendon op) is essential for me! However agree with Sprat that other muscles in that area are also important so some bridging work (also pilates) for glutes and seated leg lifts for psoas muscles. Look up some of the Equipilates exercises for more inspiration!!!