Need your opinions on possible new horse HHOers!!

junglediva

Visit site
right, well i sold my main riding horse in november and am now looking for a new one! i am looking for something rising 3/4 yr old 15.2HH + reasonably priced. Dont mind if its not broken as i quite enjoy breaking and bonding plus its only january so have all year to work on horse!
I went to see a horse the other day who i took a liking too. He is a 16.1HH skewbald gelding who is rising 5! nice i hear u thinking? well the down side is he is straight of the field and is unbroken, but has a lovely nature! I have never bought a horse older than 4 as i always buy them as 2/3yr olds and work with them and bring then on untill they are atleast 6! Just wanted to know what u guys think of said horse and wether you think its worth buying him to break (i would upload a picture but the horse isnt mine, although the owners do not use the internet, dont know if i should upload a piccie?) plus what would u expect to pay for said horse?

Thanks!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Before asking the price, I would be asking why it's in the field unbroken at 5.

Are you sure it's untouched? it could have been started, proved to be tricky and put back in the field waiting to be sold as 'unbroken' to an unsuspecting purchaser.

If it's coming from a private vendor I would be very very careful, and even from a breeder I would be questioning why it's unbroken. If it's on a dealers yard I would be confident the dealer has bought it from a private vendor because the original lowner/breeder has tried to break it and couldn't.

Sorry to be down beat but I have seen it happen so many times. I could understand a small pony being untouched at 5 due to no rider etc, but at 16.1 there has to be a reason.

Price - if it's genuine £1000.00. If it's been tried and is a toad - £100 and probably a pre-booked trip to A & E.

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Are you sure it's untouched? it could have been started, proved to be tricky and put back in the field waiting to be sold as 'unbroken' to an unsuspecting purchaser.
This tends to be my first thought when I see a rising 5yo being sold unbroken from the field. I do however have a very suspicious nature.

Goldenstar

Visit site
try and do some research locally and find out the story .
It should be very cheap as they can be very difficult when started late but many will be fine, research called for if its been started in the past beware.

junglediva

Visit site
forgot to add that info in sorry, i know the man who owns him very well, he lives just up the road and i pass the geldings field quite regularly. ive had a look over the horse no lumps or bumps and he is very quiet. in a very boggy field mud up to his hocks very nearly :S so want to get him out of there pronto! the gentleman bought him of a lady beginning of last year as a rising 4yr old she didnt do anything with him as she wanted to give him time to mature and didnt have time for him anyway so this man bought him (hes a 'il start on him 2moro' kind of person) so has never got round to doing anything with him so hesb basically been an ornament in the field all year!

Fairytale

Visit site
Being unbroken at 5 isn't such a big deal! I only backed one of mine last year at 7 - for no other reason than other things just kept getting in the way :)

And actually being older he was a lot more sane and sensible than he was at 3 or 4 :D

Fairy

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Ok, does your man have a field full of horses that he owns ? if he does, what does he do with them. Dealer, riding school, trekking centre, pets for the family, does he ride himself ?

If his other horses are used why would he have a 5 year old, allegedly with no problems that he does not use. On the other hand, if all his horses are unbroken, unused field trashers, the boy you are after is probably fine and in need of a decent home.

If you can cope with 16.1 and 5 years old untouched he would be a bargain at £1000 max with a vet ticket and a passport that belongs to him.

Be careful.