Need your urgent opinions and advice

Kelly1982

Visit site
Ellie has been up for sale for nearly a year now
shocked.gif
We have dropped the price, advertised her EVERYWHERE with the exception of HHO but she is still not selling.

I think its coz she is 1) a TB 2) only 15hh so an inbetweeny height 3) she needs a decent rider and 4) will never go above RC/PC level.

My friend has been offered a swap on her and she is seriously thinking of accepting. The swap is for an unbroken Welsh Sec A with no decent bloodlines. The women has text and emailed my friend on quite a few occassions asking her to accept.

My personal view is dont go there with a barg pole!! I think she wont get no more than £800 for it once it is broken, she is going to need to buy all new tack and rugs as all our horses are 16.2+ and she has NO experience in braking horses.

She is thinking more along the lines of the fact that it will be much less money to keep while we are waiting to sell it and also that neither of us have any time for Ellie as we have our own horses and she hasn't been ridden for 3 weeks because of this.

What do you guys think? I can see where she is coming from but i still think its a bad idea and if this pony was so easy to sell why does she keep badgering my friend to swap??

BethH

Visit site
I would say the priority is to find Ellie the right home, it seems a bad idea to take on an unknown pony if you are trying to sell your other horse anyway due to lack of time, your friend wouldn't be any better off, in fact she would be worse off as she would have no time for a pony that she doesn't even know - it could have some major problems and she doesn't have to worry about that with Ellie, I think she will find it more stressful not less and if this woman is prepared to behave like that, what sort of home would Ellie get?

I think 15hh is a great size and would be surprised if that was the problem. She would suit both adult and teenager so would appeal to a wider market.

I would try to find a full loan with a view to selling, that way you can vet the home and if you are happy she is being well looked after you can accept any price you want, knowing she is safe and well care for.

Puppy

Visit site
I wouldn't!! You can get an unbroken welsh section A at auction for less than £80 - you might as well give her away!!

Yes, it will be cheaper to keep, but if you've not the time to keep Ellie ridden consistantly then surely it would be even harder to find the time to break something in.

Re. Ellie's ads - all I can suggest is start from scratch. Totally new photos and an entirely new, totally different bit of text, so that no one recognises her as being the same horse thats been on the market for so long.

Yes, it may be the market and the facts you mention (height and breed) why she hasn't sold, but if people browsing ads recognise her as being on every website, and for so long, many (and I'm sorry to say this, but its what I believe) will pressume that shes not seeling for a better reason and be put off even enquiring.

If you're worried about keeping and working her until she sells, and the fact its taken so long already, then perhaps it would be worth advertising her as "short term loan with view to sell" that would immediately open up your market a bit more....... Just a thought!

Best of luck with it all.

H. xx

Kelly1982

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Re. Ellie's ads - all I can suggest is start from scratch. Totally new photos and an entirely new, totally different bit of text, so that no one recognises her as being the same horse thats been on the market for so long.

[/ QUOTE ]

We have done that quite a few times and also advertised under my friends name and my name but still no luck
frown.gif

bandit

Visit site
i think she would be a fool to do that.

she has been ridden in last 3 weeks you nutter - i rode her 2 w/ends ago LOL!!!!

you also currently look after Ellie and you don't want to start having to look after the next horse she brings in.. that would be well cheeky!

i agree that the ad may need revamping and it's only 60quid for HH these days, so may be worth doing - after all it's coming to winter and you don't want to have to keep her through another one.

Bx

Kelly1982

Visit site
Yeah you rode her 2 weekends ago down the road and back. She hadn't been ridden a week previous to that and she hasn't been ridden since.

You know what Vicky is like though, i dont think she will pay out £60 for an ad.

icestationzebra

Visit site
Don't do it. If you look on sites like ad-horse there are hundreds of ponies on there they don't seem to sell. I know of two section A's for sale in my area that are generating no interest and they are both backed and they are only up for £400 ish!

I would take a really nice photo of her and put an ad in Local Rider. Lots of PC riders and Juniors read it and it will be a lot cheaper than H&H.

Kelly1982

Visit site
Oops my friend is getting really funny with me (well seemed it in an email anyway) and said that i am the only one disagreeing with her and that everyone else thinks its a good idea
blush.gif

Rambo

Visit site
I wouldn't do it unless there was a substantial financial element to the swap as well. A good Sec A (and I mean with top breeding and results in the ring) can be obtained for anything from £1500 upwards. An unbroken, *average* one wouldn't be worth more than about £500 imo. Also, have you considered how you would break it ? A Sec A requires a very small rider
crazy.gif
I know Vicky is tiny but even she might struggle to ride one lol!

Kelly1982

Visit site
She reckons that she is going to brake it herself, no-one else on the yard is small enough as even the kids are bigger than her.

She has just told me it has good breeding although she doesn't know what and reckons she can sell it for £500 without having to brake it.

I reckon she is living in a dream world, she reckons i am being argumentative.