Negative Plantar angles in hinds - symptoms ?

Spangles

Visit site
Can anyone offer any info on whether a pony would buck/ kick out on a surface ie school, if suffering from neg plantar angles.

what would the signs be please ?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
The main issue will usually be a sore back and a sore back makes some horses buck and kick out, so yes.

He'll do it more in a school than on a road because his feet can sink into the surface making the negative angle worse.

It sounds as if you know he has negative angles, it's anyone doing anything to address that? Does he have shoes on?

AandK

Visit site
Possibly… my 24yo had this many years ago in his hinds, his initial symptoms were lameness and very sore lumbar region.

Just to add, mine was resolved with some time out of shoes. He had wedges on for 3yrs (was v sore without) and then injured a hind suspensory branch. I took off his hind shoes for about 5/6 months while he was on box rest with controlled exercise and he didn't need the wedges again (he retired 2.5 yrs ago). Suspensory injury was 2008.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I'm with ycbm in that the stuff going on above the negative palmar angle that would concern me in the circumstances you describe.

Spangles

Visit site
Hind suspensory & mild hock arthritis diagnosed a couple of years ago, he wears wedges now. Sacroiliac medicated as well as hocks about 18 mths ago & only hacked since. Fabulous out hacking, no issues at all. Have avoided schooling & being on a surface but now have new farrier so decided to x/ray feet. He does get a sore back occasionally noticed, new saddle helped. He’s 14

lynz88

Visit site
lameness, sore back/SI, sore hocks (arthritis), and complete refusal to move forward (would nap, slightly rear [no more than 2 ft from the ground but still], kick out, etc.) - more obvious on hard ground but really hated softer ground. Mine would hack (albeit reluctantly with a few naps here and there sometimes) but schooling was definitely out of the question.

I have the same issues as you going on though with suspensories/hock arthritis. I did wedges and he was even more unhappy. Removed shoes about 9-10 weeks ago now and horsey is happy and moving unbelievably well in the hind albeit can be a bit "slow" at first (though he is sore for other reasons as his feet angles are SO bad in general that we just need to grow 3 new feet basically [1 foot is the definition of 'perfect']). Vet and chiro are on stun with how well he is moving from behind and how supple he is in his hind end and even over into his back which used to be tenser than a guitar string! Farrier also said he was the easiest to do that he has ever known. I think everyone doubted me at first but they are all very, very impressed now :)

Last edited: