Neglect Case in Surrey

legend

Visit site
http://www.ilph.org/ukoperations_details.asp?id=695

Don't know if admin will remove this but thought i'd put it up as was so digusted by this....
In the Newspaper it reported that her excuse for allowing her horse to get into this state was her long working hours and her cat dying- wtf?!
mad.gif

TGM

Visit site
Don't see any reason why admin would delete it - the woman has been convicted of cruelty and the case has been publicised. I cannot believe an obviously educated and knowledgeable horsewoman could let the pony get into such a state
mad.gif

legend

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I cannot believe an obviously educated and knowledgeable horsewoman could let the pony get into such a state
mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think (apart from the state of the pony obviously) that's what i found the most distasteful thing about it- she clearly knew what damage she was inflicting. Oh, and the fact that she has NOT been banned from owning other horses. I know this is not hugely successful as those banned just put the horses in other people's names, but still....what does one have to do to be banned from owning horses?

airedale

Visit site
Well it's my riding club and tbh it was a horrific shock. I know her personally.

The excessively long hours working is true - don't know about the cat bit as I only see her about 3 times a year.

Do know that it's not a case of swanning around in luxury and not spending money on the horse as the car she has is a wreck.

Inexcusible to let horses feet get in this state but I do reckon the remorse is probably more genuine that in a lot of other neglect cases.

As you say - poor pony and it's now in very good hands (thankfully the ILPH and not the blankety blank blank RSPCA that I cannot stand).

I do reckon that in this case it is not something that would ever happen again from this person - unlike some neglect cases.

One thing not mentioned was anything to do with lack of feeding so I think that we can assume that the pony was being fed and that it was the feet being neglected.

Thank goodness it wasn't anything worse and that the pony was a skeleton as well.

RobinHood

Visit site
It was a real shock opening h&h today because my mum is in the same riding club and so she knows her personally. She said she just couldn't believe this lady would do something like that.

sorona

Visit site
Thats awful. If it were just a case of time, I am sure some farriers would have been happy to catch the horse, trim its feet and turn it out again or it could be arranged for somebody else to catch the pony for the farrier. If it was a case of lack of funds, then she shouldnt have the pony in the first place and should have sold it or given it away to a better home.
I hope the woman feels totally and utterly ashamed of herself.

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
one wonders which riding club! that is bloomin horrific, ffs, if you cant do it yourself through time or money then there are places you can go! who will at least look after your horse and find it a loving caring home! Makes me mad!!

Agent XXX999

Visit site
God I know of her too!

Just wondering...the horse is on a yard with other neds, so didnt their farrier say anything, or try and give friendly advice....

airedale

Visit site
riding clubs are NOT responsible for the condition or care of their members horses.

Membership is taken in good faith and - as with ALL other equestrian disciplines (and we've discussed bad stuff at pony club events lots of times) - what you see at shows isn't what goes on necessarily at home - can be better, can be worse.

To blame the riding club - and the name is in H&H if you buy it - is like blaming the BSJA for someone rapping a horse at home. The riding club is nothing to do with this and this person has resigned/been expelled from the club concerned.

At least the pony appeared to have been fed if you look at the ILPH article.

The feet are inexcusible.

Sparklet

Visit site
Agree with this up to a point - I am on the committee of a riding club and certainly dont go round inspecting members horses at their own homes! The club cannot be held responsible and I am sure their members are absolutely horrified that this is what has happened and appauled about the negative publicity. There is no excuse for the pony to be in that condition - a hoof trim does not cost very much.

The feeding/non feeding issue is completely separate however, if the pony was on adequate grazing then it could be in reasonable condition (weight wise) without ever seeing a pony nut. The state of the feet is more suggestive of her turning it away and not visiting.

Ellaxx

Visit site
My mum knows of her and she was stunned by the news,
What she did is totally cruel and there is definatly no excuse, poor horses! however H&H must really hate the woman to give out her address, i would not like to be opening her post for the next few weeks! Dont get me wrong i'm not sympathising with the lady but i'm sure they have never printed them in previous articles of neglect??

xx