Negotiating prices...

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
How do people go about doing this? Is it an acceptable thing to do?

I’ve never negotiated on the horses I’ve bought before, but it would help me very much this time around if I could. I’ve seen a lovely horse for sale who sounds exactly the type I’m looking for. She’s advertised for £15,000. Now I’ve been saying our max budget is £12,000. I’m going to see how much we can stretch, because I don’t expect to negotiate price down that much. But would it be unreasonable to view with an idea to put an offer in at £13,500? Or what kind of amount would you expect to be able to negotiate?

Thanks!

9tails

Visit site
I don't see an issue with that, but it may be good manners to tell the sellers that your budget doesn't stretch that far and ask if they're willing to negotiate. You don't have to give the seller your budget, but I think I would feel hoodwinked if you came, saw, liked then said you can't afford.

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
I don't see an issue with that, but it may be good manners to tell the sellers that your budget doesn't stretch that far and ask if they're willing to negotiate. You don't have to give the seller your budget, but I think I would feel hoodwinked if you came, saw, liked then said you can't afford.
Yes, I need to speak to my parents tonight to see if we can afford that. If we can afford it but would be better if we can negotiate, I will view. If we can’t stretch, I’ll tell them before going any further. I was just wondering what the protocol was with these things!

ihatework

Visit site
I always negotiate!
I do it nicely and never deliberately offend.

Last 2 I bought I got 24% and 40% off the initial asking prices

And I would be aiming to get a 15k horse for 12k BUT if I genuinely couldn’t go to 15k if push came to shove, I’d let the seller know before viewing

Upthecreek

Visit site
I love a haggle but in the current market where good horses are selling like hot cakes you might lose out because the person coming to view an hour after you’ve left, or happy to buy unseen in many cases, will offer the asking price. A few years ago not negotiating would have been unthinkable, but now if I found the perfect horse I would be prepared to pay the asking price to secure it.

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Haggling is the norm in horses, isnt it? Mind you, I always find haggling a bit embarrasing as I'm no good at it but you should definitely do it.
I’m the same! I’m no good so I try and avoid it. We’ve decided we could stretch if she’s the right thing, but would be better if we could negotiate it down a little. All being well going to try and view on Friday, but knowing the current market she may well have sold before then:oops:

Mule

Visit site
I’m the same! I’m no good so I try and avoid it. We’ve decided we could stretch if she’s the right thing, but would be better if we could negotiate it down a little. All being well going to try and view on Friday, but knowing the current market she may well have sold before then:oops:
The prices have shot right up. A friend of mine is buying too and she's thinking of getting a three year old because every horse she has found that is older has been really expensive. Have a go at the dreaded haggling anyway :p and hopefully she won't have gone anywhere by Friday.

Britestar

Visit site
Someone near ne had a horse advertised. Buyer rang, asked price said she'd double it if they took horse off market immediately.

No hope when folk are doing that!

Trouper

Visit site
This is a really tricky one because you don't know how invested the seller is in securing the best future for the horse. For them to assess you/the home you are going to give the horse, you have to go to a viewing but I think I would have to have a conversation with the seller beforehand. I would ask about the home they are looking for for the horse and that would tell me something about how much they cared about his future. If they conversation went well I would have to say that the asking price was stretching my budget, you don't want to waste their time etc etc and see what their reaction was. If they indicate that there is no movement on the price then at least you know where you stand.

Bernster

Visit site
I’m rubbish at it! But I think anything up to 10% is ok but agree with others I’d be up front with the seller. Not sure how effective it will be in this market though!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
In the past I would expect to negotiate. In the current market, not.

When I sold my horse last August, I was asked to negotiate. I had a list of people wanting to try, so I sad no. They still bought the horse, I think I could have advertised at more £ and still got it, TBF.

Flicker

Visit site
I would agree that there is no harm in asking, but definitely pre-viewing so that the seller can decide whether to go through with the process of presenting the horse for viewing. Some will, some won’t. Might be worth having a bit of a script prepared about what you can offer the horse, where it will be stabled etc so the seller understands what sort of home the horse is going to. I’ve dropped the asking price for a horse I sold considerably because the home was just perfect.

hollyandivy123

Visit site
at the end of the day you know how much your budget it, when you see the horse you know how much you are willing to pay for it, which is normally less than what the seller wants.

Upthecreek

Visit site
Slightly off topic but I have just seen advertised “a 16hh 8yo coloured Irish sport cob that has done arena eventing cc, low level BS, PC camp and hunted in the New Forest. He has a lovely character and will give an experienced rider a lot of fun but is certainly not for a novice”. £9850 is the asking price. A few years ago it would have needed a decent competition record to achieve anywhere near that price. Just goes to show where the market is at right now.

Mule

Visit site
Slightly off topic but I have just seen advertised “a 16hh 8yo coloured Irish sport cob that has done arena eventing cc, low level BS, PC camp and hunted in the New Forest. He has a lovely character and will give an experienced rider a lot of fun but is certainly not for a novice”. £9850 is the asking price. A few years ago it would have needed a decent competition record to achieve anywhere near that price. Just goes to show where the market is at right now.
What is a sport cob anyway ?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Good luck with the viewing.

Can you employ ihw as chief price negotiator :D?

I can't haggle for toffee, it's just not in me, but I admire people who can.
nor me, i think it's in my genes (thanks dad) even when buying new cars I struggled to ask them to throw a set of mats in! doh!

racebuddy

Visit site
Thanks everyone! Have arranged a viewing for Friday, am willing to pay asking price, but seems like might be worth trying an offer, but not to be surprised if they aren’t willing to move on price
Have fun trying exciting times and me at the end of the year but parting with £10.000 all over again makes
Me anxious and excited at the same time , i want something thats be evented and experienced xx just crazy prices xx

Quadro

Visit site
I have just purchased a foal and paid the full asking price. I felt like it is a strong market, I wanted him and it was not a greedy price.
I sold a horse earlier in the year and I got the full asking price. Think it is indicative of where the market is just now

EventingMum

Visit site
I recently sold a pony and in the current market I reckon he was cheap, I was asked to drop the price and said no as I had other viewers lined up and tbh the pony would have sold himself as he really was a star. The buyers decided to pay the asking price. Equally, I went to view another pony and asked if there was any negotiation on the price and the seller instantly offered to drop a few hundred as she felt the pony would fit well into our scenario which she has done. I felt it would be rude to haggle further and felt I got a good deal. It's always worth asking if the price is negotiable but in the current market don't expect a huge reduction.

Goldenstar

Visit site
This a hard one if I go to view a horse and find a well produced horse who is what I have been told it is thats looks to be sound and nice natured and safe and I like the horse and I think the price is right I just buy it.
I had no intention of paying what Sky was advertised at IMO he was not worth it at that time so I had the conversation in advance ( it was a very long drive ) .
I think you should be upfront with the owners .