Nerve blocks made him worse - ideas? (also in vet section)

Bedlam

Visit site
I'll say at the start that my horse has been referred to AHT for a bone scan and to be assessed by Sue Dyson, but just thought I would ask on here to see if the font of knowledge can shed any light or give us any ideas.......

He's an eventer that has successfully competed up to 2* but didn't have the speed or ability to go much further so we bought him fully fit and competing for my reasonably competent daughter to have a crack at JRNs (or whatever they are now...). His dressage has never been his strong point, but we bought him for safety xc. First few times out very successful - low 30s dressage and lots of clears. Things slowly have been going downhill dressage and jumping wise culminating in a 48.5 dressage, 20 SJ faults and and daughter retiring xc because he wasn't taking her and was knocking every fence.

We have had ACPAT physio - slight stiffness in left shoulder - nothing significant. EDT - slightly sore on bars of mouth so changed bit, but no real issues with teeth (seen every 6 months anyway). Saddler - needed to change dressage saddle as a little too narrow, but nothing huge - saddle now custom fit.

He tends to stand with his hind feet up on his stable banks and also on the raised bit of gravel by the gate in his field. He has started to be difficult to load - never an issue before. He began bucking in canter whether long and low or up and collected. I've had 2 different pro riders school him and he bucks with both (dressage and event rider).

So - vet called. No lameness to write home about on the flat or when lunged on soft or hard. Definite objection to canter ridden. X-rays all basically clean hind fetlock, hind hock, slight, miniscule abnormality on near stifle, not enough to cause huge problems, right stifle clean. All dorsal processes well spaced. No heat or swelling anywhere.

Now the puzzling bit - nerve blocked both hind suspensories. Horse wouldn't canter and displayed new reluctance to trot - bucking and kicking out when asked and pushed forwards. Nerve blocked SI - absolute refusal to move forwards in walk - hunching and bucking and kicking when forced. So the nerve blocks made him progressively worse...??

Waiting for referral, and trust my equine vet, just wondered if anyone had any similar experience....? He's an honest genuine boy with no behavioural issues or vices up to now - a real sweetie.

Thistle

Visit site
Bedlam, just wanted to say I'm sorry you didn't get any answers.

My understanding (from same vet) is that when you nerve block you can exagerate a response further up the leg.

Eg if a horse has a very slight lameness that is in suspensory region and you block the foot then the horse will show as being lamer.

This is because the horse can't now feel the foot he no longer protects the limb leading to increased jarring and a more pronounced lameness.

Hope S had her superglue when she rode him, I'll see her in a bit!

Just a thought, may be worth you have a chat to H L the mare had problems earlier this year and has had sacroiliac medicated amongst other things and is now doing well. She went to a vet/holistic/chiro person nr Newmarket.

It seems as though he gets some relief standing with his hind legs raised, hence the reluctance to walk up a ramp. have you tried walking him up and down any banks?

Last edited:

Bedlam

Visit site
Hi Thistle - yes that was a good explanation when he was worse with a suspensory block, but it was a bit confusing when we got to the top and blocked the SI. There's definitely something very wrong - I'm sure S will fill you in later - he was horrendous when the SI was blocked!! J was a bit flummoxed by how bad he was and how extreme his reaction was after blocking all the way up.......

I've heard about the lady H uses - Donna Blinman I think? She will be next on my list after Sue Dyson has given her verdict.......

kerilli

Visit site
crikey. sounds like a v convoluted picture. how old is the horse?
obv bone scan should pinpoint exactly where the hotspots are, but other than that i would be very tempted, if possible, to do good old "Doctor Green" on the horse if you can give him the time. I've seen it work wonders.

Bedlam

Visit site
Hi Kerilli - he's 12 and has not been over run, just a moderately busy professional record.

Dr Green is a possibility, but I'd be loathe to do that without trying to find out what the underlying issue is first just in case we reach the end of our 12 month insurance window without any answers.....

There clearly is an issue as he has such an extreme reaction that got so much worse when blocked - I really don't think that he's just sour or over worked.

kerilli

Visit site
Ah right, I see. Not very old or worn out then.
Umm, I'd look into getting Thermal Imaging done too tbh, I had mine done, it wasn't expensive and it was very interesting/enlightening...
i think he's in great hands with Sue Dyson though, from all i've heard.
hope you get some answers and it's good news.

hobgoblin

Visit site
Your daughters horses problems sound exactly the same as mine has had can't really be any help though as in the end I've just turned him out he was also completely sound until being nerve blocked will be getting him in soon so it's a bit wait and see good luck with your horse