Nerves

BenjaminBunny

Visit site
Hi Guys,

This is my first post here - just to introduce myself - i've owned my horse for about 4 months now - he passed a stage 5 vetting but unfortunately was diagnosed with hind suspensory ligament desmitis in both ... he's a 16.2hh id/tb and 9 years old

he's so far had 8 1/2 weeks box rest... with the first 4 weeks he had shockwave therapy - after 6 weeks he had a scan and showed marked improvement - also after the scan i had to start walking him for 20 mins a day building upto 45 to an hour in 6 weeks -

we are currently doing 30 mins a day (in hand) and he's getting naughty (bucked and booted my husband last night in the stomach - it was an over reaction to a dog barking) - so on vets advice i can actually ride him - it doesn't really make much difference apparently - as long as he's on reasonably hard flat surface he should be ok and keeping it all at walk.....

the problem i'm having is after 8 weeks box rest i'm petrified to get on board - now he is the sweetest thing and i know he's acting up out of boredom and frustration - i can't blame him - but if i could lunge him first or if he was on turn out i wouldn't have a problem on getting on - now a friend at the yard has offered to help - as she is much more experienced than I - and way more confident - but i know it should be me getting on board first

i don't know what i'm scared of - yeah there is the falling off bit or being kicked etc etc - i really don't know how to stop being so scared

now i bought him following part loaning a mare for 2 years and after doing my stage 1 bhs exam (before i loaned) - plus i've been riding since age 3 just never had the money to own before - so i wouldn't say i'm novicy - just nervous - the horse i stopped loaning over a year ago - and i had a few lessons - but i haven't properly ridden for a good 8 months (yes i rode my horse when i first got him on a few hacks - but didn't really get to know him as didn't do much more than walk and trot, plus a few kind people have let me ride their horses to keep me ticking over) but as it's been awhile i've lost faith in myself

any advice please

miamibear

Visit site
Firstly dont be down on yourself, i would be the same in your position.

Get a very experienced confident helper that you trust, get them to hold your horse and walk around with you, this person must be strict but sympathetic to the horse.

It will make you feel much safer and break you in gently. Make sure you walk him wround with tack on for a couple of sessions before you take the plunge, just to allow him to get used to the tack again.

The best of luck to you. Rescue remedy steadies the nerves - or calms have been recommended to me.

Welcome to the forum too
grin.gif

Edited to say : wear a body protector too just in case

BenjaminBunny

Visit site
thanks miamibear

i am off to tack shop to buy a body protector on thurs night - but my experienced friend has loaned me hers which isn't a great fit but would be better than nothing

i think i'm going to see how he reacts to the saddle tonight and take it from there

if he's ok i will get on and be lead around i think

SillyMare

Visit site
Do whatever makes you feel safest.

It won't help anyone if you get on him before you feel ready - your nerves may make the whole thing worse and his behaviour won't help your confidence.

It won't be good for his legs at all if he dumps you and does a few laps of the field!

What about long-reining?

Or ask your vet about turning him out in a very small paddock (probably wouldn't hurt to sedate him initially either).

Don't get drawn into a battle with him, he is probably very stressed and frustrated at the moment and is just reacting accordingly.

BenjaminBunny

Visit site
well he's very much like an unexploded bomb

my friend got on and he was very tense and just got more and more wound up although she rode him fantastically and i'm so grateful for it - i didn't have the guts to get on - i spent all afternoon at work shaking and i got really upset when i got to the yard - if i was able to get rid of the pent up energy i wouldn't have a problem - but to get on a horse for the first time in 9 weeks of box rest - no thanks

so i'm awaiting my vets to call me to advise on sedating whilst walking around - it's just too dangerous otherwise for both the person walking him and him

i know it's all from the frustrations of being kept in - and he will return to his usual chilled self once out again

but if by sedating him it gets him walked safely then it's my only option - i've asked if i can sedate him and turn him out in a small paddock for an hour - like i say i'm waiting for a call from the vet.....

i've also reduced his feed now he's no longer underweight - to reduce his energy levels