Nervous about yard move??!! WWYD

Deltofe2493

Visit site
Hey everyone

I’ve posted a couple times on here about my situation and moving etc but now the time has come I need some objective advice

My horse has been at the current yard for just over a year and is where I bought her from in March 2021.

there’s a few things that seem vague there so recently I’ve switched from full livery to pure diy to make sure it’s done. I mucked out on Friday, my first DIY day and i took out pretty much the whole bed and I used one of the massive barrows which was overflowing. I mucked out again sat & sun and I took out half or just under. which tells me they haven’t been mucking her out properly which is far from ideal as she’s on box rest and needs a nice clean bed.

this is also the 3rd time she’s injured herself in a year, second since December and although she is a thoroughbred I have been in touch with previous owner who tells me she never had any issues with accidents / lameness which makes me question the field conditions / her happiness. If she’s messing about in the field is she stressed and unsettled?

The pros of this place is it’s slightly cheaper than the new yard (£300 diy incl bedding vs £350 assisted plus bedding) boxes are nice and big, plenty of storage for my horsey bits & good hacking. Although when she comes of box rest i can only go on the road and farrier has suggested to keep shoes off as long as possible.

The pros of the new place - it’s a rehab facility so there’s a water treadmill, farrier on site & nice big rectangle school which will help with the straight lines and of course the owners who are experienced with horses like mine.

both yards are close to home. New yard is closer to box hire should I need it for vet trips / outings

since I’ve been at my yard liveries have come and gone and come back again. I saw some ladies yesterday who moved before winter and she said her horses have never been happier since they’ve moved.

Then I’ve spoken to someone who doesn’t know my horse or the yard but very experienced who said keep her where she is so as not to cause any upset - which I also agree with.

I want to do the best thing by her and I’m so torn. So… what would you do / have you done in my position

TIA XX

dorsetladette

Visit site
Get moved. The extra you'll be paying is for the better facilities and experience/support of the staff on the new yard.

If she keeps hurting herself and is repeatedly on box rest something is lacking in her care (in my opinion) whether that be the turn out not adequate or the horses she's out with not well matched. Some thing isn't right. Or something as simple as her wearing turn out boots while out.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
I moved last weekend so just over a week ago and it's been the best decisions I've made!
They've not been mucking her out and she's been getting injured in the field repeatedly tells me these people aren't trustworthy so what else is going on that you don't know about ?
Go with your gut - time and time again mine has proven to be correct!

Deltofe2493

Visit site
So the time has finally come. I’ve been offered a space at another yard (unfortunately not at the rehab place) but the new yard is still good and recommended by my horses previous owner.

how do you go about telling your YO without them trying to convince you to stay? / feeling bad?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
So the time has finally come. I’ve been offered a space at another yard (unfortunately not at the rehab place) but the new yard is still good and recommended by my horses previous owner.

how do you go about telling your YO without them trying to convince you to stay? / feeling bad?

You just politely give them a months notice, and thank them for the time you’ve been there for.

Leandy

Visit site
You just politely give them a months notice, and thank them for the time you’ve been there for.

Yep, never apologise, never explain. Don't get drawn into a conversation about the whys and wherefore's unless you want to give honest feedback. Just tell them it is happening and abide by the notice requirements of your current contract.

Deltofe2493

Visit site
I don’t actually have a contract so can technically leave whenever I want! But obviously I have morals so would at least give 2 weeks notice

Birker2020

Visit site
I don't think my horses have ever been worried about a yard move. Its more a people thing than anything.
that said I don't tend to move, been on yard 1 for 5 years, yard 2 for 4 years and yard 3 for 10 years the first time with two years off and then another 8 and still there.

Deltofe2493

Visit site
I don't like the idea of moving around either tbh, this is why it has taken me so long to make a decision and also be at a yard I want to be at rather than just move again in 6 months time. I don't think it's right and you hear of people getting a bad reputation.

Notice has been handed in and will be moving 3rd June! YO was very ammicable. Horsey will then be allowed turnout (if all goes to plan) 2 weeks following that. So in a way it's worked out better I do the next 5 weeks and she can (almost) finish off her walking re-hab where she is.

Thanks for the advice everyone. :) I am really excited about the next chapter!

Northern Hare

Visit site
I don't like the idea of moving around either tbh, this is why it has taken me so long to make a decision and also be at a yard I want to be at rather than just move again in 6 months time. I don't think it's right and you hear of people getting a bad reputation.

Notice has been handed in and will be moving 3rd June! YO was very ammicable. Horsey will then be allowed turnout (if all goes to plan) 2 weeks following that. So in a way it's worked out better I do the next 5 weeks and she can (almost) finish off her walking re-hab where she is.

Thanks for the advice everyone. :) I am really excited about the next chapter!

Great news and well done - sounds like your move is all slotting nicely into the plan! ??