Nervous/accident prone traveller

lennysmith

Visit site
Right oh knowledgeable ones!

Frinde and I are going to be moving yards (oh yes we are!!). However, last time my friends 16.3 tb went ina trailor he managed to freak and put his leg through the wall! He was a right mess bless him.This was about 3 years or more ago now, but obviously we are sooo woried about him hurting himself. (he loads fine btw, just freaks mid journey).

He also has suffered with colic over the last few years. Dont think it was stress related. However, it's not going to help matters.

Many will say why move him? We have no choice. He's now been limited to 2 hours turnout per day in the summer and 1/2 hour in the winter due to him not being able to go out with the others (he runs through barbed wire, which is everywhere grrrr).

So if you have any idea about the travelling him safely all suggestions welcome xxxx

SillyMare

Visit site
I would think you have 2 choices:

If you need him moved sooner rather than later then use a professional transporter - it will cost you but they will know what they are doing, the box will be robust and well driven and they will be insured for all eventualities.

If you have plenty of time then make sure you have access to a trailer that is big enough for him (he probably needs one of the larger sizes) and practice practice practice! You could also try taking out the partition - lots of big horses get a bit worried about being restricted.

Alibear

Visit site
large trailer , no partition, good confident driver in heavy tow car and bandage him up to the hilt.

Tube of coligone before you start and one in the car in case he needs it the other end.

try and pick a cool time of day as well.

I personally am not against giving sedaline/acp when it's necessary to move bad travellers but others are.

lennysmith

Visit site
Friend has her own trailor. we were wondering whether to use that again? As it's the one he decided to throw himself through. Or as you say use a big professional box. there will be 3 of us 4 horses so wont actually cost through the earth

lennysmith

Visit site
Yes I was wondering about some sort of sedative too. Didn't know what peoples thought are. I've been so lucky to have 'plonk on' travellers. (although still have the foal to battle with).

Thankyou xx

SillyMare

Visit site
Professional box all the way! And as AliBear says, bandaged up to the hilt!!

Does he have shoes on? If you are worried you could whip them off - that is one obvious way you could reduce chances of him hurting himself.

lennysmith

Visit site
Yep. He's got cr*p feet too! Got his great big wedges in them. will get her to whip them off (well the farrier that is) good idea. He's bound too do something with them, lose them, and his wedgy things!

flyingfeet

Visit site
If you can share the cost - the likelihood is that he will travel better in a lorry due to extra space, more friends and nicer travel than trailer.