Nervous traveller

Kezzabell2

Visit site
Following on from the stubborn loader post; I'd be interested to hear how you all cope with a nervous traveller?

Sam will load no issues, but he stands on the trailer shaking, by the time I arrive anywhere he's always soaking wet!

He's never had a bad experience travelling, always seems to stand quietly. He's had to go to the vets a few times but hasn't been there for over a year and the last few times we've travelling, he's been to fun rides and the beach! so all exciting and not scary

Today, I took him along for a ride to pick up a shetland and again he was shaking and sweaty!

He doesn't come off like he's really upset, and is always okay to get back on! I drive nice a slow and don't slow down too quickly! so how can I make it less stressful for him?

jules9203

www.pensdellequestrian.org.uk
I had a horse like this. The first time we tried to load him it took 4hrs - he had been travelled in a cattle wagon previously. We discovered he hated any noise in the trailer. We ended up bunging up any rattles with rubber bit rings. Had no problems after that. Had a mare years later with similar issues. I think its worth travelling in the trailer whilst its being towed (without the horse!) just to see how noisy it is. Hope that helps.

SarahWeston

Visit site
I just wondered what type of horse transport you are using? Travelling is very hard work for any horse and can be physically demanding in ways that they don't have to work normally.

rabatsa

Far from the madding crowd
Visit site
I have sorted mine - albeit over a year - by lots of frequent, short trips. Someone going to the vet she went for the ride, visiting a friend - she came too and had time in a paddock or school while we had a coffee and natter. I tried to get her out twice a week with nothing happening at the other end. She will now travel to a show and arrive as cool as a cucumber.

arlosmum

Visit site
i second the poster upthread who suggested travelling in the trailer yourself. By yourself, of course. It's such a useful exercise to identify anything which could be stressing your mare.
Also second the advice to travel her as frequently as possible. Short trips, then back home. My boy was a difficult loader, but a good traveller. I think this works for both, though.
I used to hitch up the trailer, put it in the field & feed my boy on it. I've read this isn't a good idea as it could lead to expectations of food every time you want to actually GO somewhere! LOL But I found my boy just became relaxed & accustomed to being in the trailer. We then progressed to a short jaunt round the field. Then down the lane & back, a bit further each day, you get the picture!
My boy is 17.3hh & I have a Bateson trailer. He travels much better with the partition out & breast & breech bars. Perhaps this is something you could try as well.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
Thanks for the tips guys

I think the noise thing is a good idea, it does make a lot of noise, so will see if I can try and quieten it down to see if that helps.

Its a Ifor 505 and he's only ever been in a 3.5 tonne lorry but that was when I picked him up as a 18 month old, ever since he's gone everywhere in this trailer!

I will try and take him out for more trips, I just need to speak nicely to my Dad so I can keep borrowing his truck!

I should also add it doesn't matter which side he travels on and it doesn't matter if he goes alone or with a friend!