Nettles management

planete

Visit site
I have a few patches of nettles at the edges of my fields and I have kept them down with a sickle until now. I would like to buy a cordless trimmer to do the job this year as I am trying to cut down on manual labour and I will not use weed killer. Any recommendations please for something around £100? There are no brambles or woody plants just the nettles and the occasional dock.

planete

Visit site
Please leave some they are essential for some moths and butterfly’s

I do not think I have ever managed to cut them all! :)The farm is overrun with them growing unchecked between the outbuildings and down the lanes. This is just to stop having a pony with an itchy nose and dogs with sore paws in their exercise paddock.

suestowford

Visit site
I can't help you with a recommendation but I have got rid of a nettle patch that was in my field (don't worry, there are plenty more, this one was just in an awkward place). Pulled up all the growth first, then dug over the patch to get the roots out. I did have to go over it again the next year as I'd missed some bits of root, but they are not hard to dig out like docks are.
I left a lot of the top growth to wilt in the sun and fed it to my ponies. They like a nice wilted nettle :)

eta, I have just looked and there is no nettle growth there at all this year :)

MissTyc

Visit site
I have a Bosch cordless hedge trimmer and I do all my nettles with them up to the fence line (plenty more left to thrive on the other side!) and then leave them for the horses to eat. I use my Bosch for everything. Love it.

PurBee

Visit site
I bought a 2nd hand stihl strimmer fs280k from ebay 13yrs ago for aroung 80 quid, that has been thoroughly used annually, and has been a great workhorse. I cant say the same about all models of stihl strimmers as my neighbour had a newer model and always had trouble starting it/carburettor balance. Easily solved with the balancing screws but most sell them 2nd hand cheap thinking its knackered, when its just a carb balance issue. So you can easily find great 2nd hand machines for a modest sum, considering theyre normally £350+ new price.

p.s - the tender small leaves/tops of nettles are very soft and nutritious. Herbally known as blood cleansing. I often pick the tops this time of year and dry some for the horses, and steam them fresh for us to eat - theyre similar to steamed chard greens, very soft. Delicious! The stings are completely eradicated by cooking.

planete

Visit site
Thank you for all the replies. I have just bought a Black and Decker from eBay. Unfortunately, I am no longer able to pull up or dig anything or cut by hand as I did for years so I need to change my habits. What I will not do is use weed killer, I am too fond of all the small beasties in my field and would worry about them. The droppings are often like fluff balls after the dung beetles have had 24 hours to work on them so I am benefiting too. Anthill bumps have also started appearing in the grazing after just three years of benevolent neglect. I did ban the badger though by blocking his access as he started stripping the turf to find my lovely grubs (and leaving open latrines!). He has the whole Forest next door, he does not need my field.

I am not sure about letting Woody eat a lot of nettles all at once because of the iron content. He eats them as soon as they are cut so I may have to pick them up and dole them out a bit at a time later. Nettles are supposed to give horses dapples, is there such a thing as a black dappled pony?

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I have a few patches of nettles at the edges of my fields and I have kept them down with a sickle until now. I would like to buy a cordless trimmer to do the job this year as I am trying to cut down on manual labour and I will not use weed killer. Any recommendations please for something around £100? There are no brambles or woody plants just the nettles and the occasional dock.
I use one of these https://www.forestschoolshop.co.uk/cutting-tools/garden-tools/bramble-and-nettle-cutter.htm

Then leave them for the horses to munch on.

Getbackboys

Visit site
why would you want to dig or pull them up, horses love them they are also good for them just leave them to dry once cut (use a sickle they are not hard to slice/cut back) or a strimmer if easier, same applies with thistles when poo picking take the sickle with and just knock the head off even on the newest ones coming thru they wont grow back for a good few months and again the horses eat them - mine do anyway

Lois Lame

Visit site
I always thought stinging nettles were very good for horses. I don't know how you feed them (dry them, sounds like). Or nettle tea.

The common stinging Nettle (Urtica Dioica) can be found almost everywhere in the British Isles and other temperate climates. They are an ancient herb and have been used for their many food and health properties over the centuries. Nettles have thrived and flourished due to their resilience and sting, which protects them from being eaten by predators, including us humans. Unfortunately for Nettles, humans have invented handy things like gloves so we are now able to harvest at will!
Nettles have many benefits for horses and are used for ailments, such as laminitis, lymphangitis, blood cleansing, detox, kidney flush, skin allergies and arthritis. Nettles contain large amounts of vitamin C which is a powerful antioxidant, mopping up circulating free radicals, especially during a laminitis episode. Their mild diuretic properties act as a kidney flush and detox to flush out toxins and harmful chemicals. Nettles also aid circulation and support cardiovascular health, along with antihistamine properties for the ever-increasing allergies and itching we see regularly in horses today. What wonderful herbal ‘weeds’ they are!

Horses will rarely eat fresh Nettles for obvious reasons but relish them once they are dried and the sting has been deactivated. If you are harvesting in public places, avoid roadside herbs as they will be contaminated by pollution. Wooded areas are full of Nettles and they will happily grow and take over your back garden given a chance. They are certainly not a high maintenance herb but offer so many health benefits to us and our beloved horses.

Little known Nettle facts: Nettle fibres can be made into paper and a linen- type fabric, similar to Hemp. Nettle beer is popular for people suffering from gout and rheumatoid arthritis.

https://www.totalhorsefeed.com/the-healing-stinging-nettle/